With a wave of the unit captain's hand, we set off. We raced to the elevator, which swiftly carried us to ground zero, where the doors to the training ground awaited us, with Drones ready for takeoff.

We called the airborne transports Drones. They could transport both people and various materials, but their most crucial feature was their speed and their formidable armor, which could rival that of the enemy's best tanks. Looking back, since their introduction, the absence of any significant malfunction could be considered a success.

We quickly packed into the machine, buckling up in comfortable leather seats, and took off.

Enduring considerable g-force, I glanced out of the tinted window of the Drone. From below, we probably looked like a swarm of insects, albeit flying silently, unlike insects, which usually made noise.

The commander communicated with other captains via radio, while teammates gathered their thoughts before the operation. The vehicle's screen at the forefront displayed the current weather, which could be useful for snipers, although we didn't have any in our unit, and played music that sounded like a blend of Mozart with elevator music. Only Samurai attempted to write something on a piece of paper, which he struggled to keep on his suit.

"What are you scribbling there?" I asked, trying to divert my mind from the impending disaster.

"Samurais used to write jisei, death poems," he said in a rather surprising manner. "I figured if I die on this mission, you'll have something to remember me by."

"Why me?"

"We never finished our conversation in the bathroom, so consider this as a substitute."

He folded the paper twice, then tucked it into a miniature metal box, no bigger than a locket, and hung it around my neck as a necklace.

"You know, if I didn't know you, I'd think you were hitting on me," I said with a half-smile, trying to ease the tension.

"What, you want a kiss?" he retorted, a wry grin playing on his lips.

"I'd rather face death in the field," I replied, my tone serious.

"Don't worry, Seven. We'll be there in a moment," he reassured me, his voice steady despite the impending danger.

He was right. As the Drone soared past towering buildings adorned with bright neon signs, I couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia for my simpler life in a small town. The hustle and bustle of this city were overwhelming, a stark contrast to the tranquility I once knew.

The vibrant lights and bustling streets masked the darker reality lurking beneath the surface. Trash littered the sidewalks, and the air was thick with the scent of decay and desperation. Despite the facade of prosperity, danger lurked around every corner.

A sudden explosion jolted me back to the present. The Drone shook violently as it was hit by enemy fire, sending us into a tailspin.

"How did they breach our defenses?" KK4 exclaimed, his voice tinged with panic.

"Stay calm, recruit," our leader snapped, his tone commanding. "Prepare for deployment!"

As we braced ourselves for the impending landing, the gravity of our mission weighed heavily on my mind. In a city where danger lurked at every turn, survival was far from guaranteed.

I nodded my thanks to him.

"We're losing altitude, grab onto something!" Samuel's voice cut through the chaos.

After issuing the command, Samuel glanced toward the direction the laser had come from. In an instant, he unholstered his rifle and aimed it at the door.