𝒳𝐼. real life & imessage

˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

ELEVEN.

TEN STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

Nate hopped into the passenger seat with a big grin, evidently elated by tonight's events. Matt let out a breathy laugh and shook his head at the boy. The younger boy sent him a sideways glance and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Are you gonna start the car or what?" Nate questioned as he drummed his fingers against the center console. He watched Matt and noticed the older boy's attention had shifted to the ice cream parlor. Nate followed his gaze and realized what he was so captured by— Rina. "Oh. I see."

At these words, Matt's head whipped around to face Nate. He narrowed his eyes at the younger boy. "What are you talking about?"

Nate gives him a blank stare and then gestures back into the window of the ice cream parlor. Rina was staring at the car— seemingly directly at Matt, but most likely unbeknownst to her since the lights in the car were off. She turned away and Nate's stare fell, but Matt's eyes lingered on her figure.

     The younger boy glanced over at him and scoffed at his lovesick stare. "What's up with you, man?" Nate inquired, his fingers tapping against his thigh. Matt's face crinkled up in confusion. Why the fuck was he being so cryptic tonight?

     At his confusion, the Doe boy elaborated, "You ghost her for like a year— with no explanation, which is a dick move of you— and then you try inserting yourself back into her life. Not even just you, Chris and Nick too. I love you guys, but that shit's just not cool."

Matt sunk lower in his seat, embarrassment and anger flooding him. He couldn't believe that Nate had called him out. He started to wonder what they talked about for an hour and how much of it was spent talking about him. It had to be a substantial amount of Nate was bringing it up.

     "It was only nine months," the older boy mumbled, while putting his hoodie up to hid his face.

     Nate let out a dry laugh. "That doesn't make it better, bro."

     Matt was silent for a moment. He was at a loss of words. Nothing he could say would excuse his actions. He was an asshole for what happened between them.

     He opened his mouth to say anything, but his mouth snapped shut when the door the ice cream parlor swung open and Rina swiftly exited. His gaze followed her as she sped walked to her car and jumped into the driver's seat. In five seconds her car started and she was already pulling out of her parking spot. By the time Matt fell out of his daze and started the car, she was gone.

     Nate let out a huff of air as Matt followed suit and pulled out of his parking spot. "You owe her an explanation and a real apology. She didn't deserve that."

     "I know," Matt replied softly, his hands tightly gripping the steering wheel. The rest of car ride back to Sturniolo resident was spent in silence.

RIRI ❤️‍🩹❗️

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━