Chapter 2

Lorraine POV

As the vibrating alarm echoed on the nightstand, I stirred, mumbling unidentifiable words as I sat up, popping my back and arms on the way up. Rubbing my eyes, I looked around the pitch-black room, squinting at the bright numbers on my phone—6:00. Twisting my legs away easily from Noel, I stood up from the bed, hearing Noel shift behind me.

The breeze of cold air circulated through the apartment as I walked out of the room and towards my bedroom. I walked in, heading to my dresser and pulling out my uniform, not sparing a glance at the unused room. After grabbing my uniform, I walked out of the room and into the bathroom, setting my clothes down on the counter.

I stripped down, stepping into the shower and turning it on, the warm water cascading down my back before trapping my body wash. The smell of strawberry enveloped the bathroom. I began scrubbing my body, washing away my sins for another day, as I would sometimes say. Once I was done, I turned off the shower, stepping out and grabbing a towel.

I dry off and pulls on my uniform the navy pleated skirts hugging around my waist. The white button down shirt and a plaid tie fitting against my skin pulling on my rings. I shrugs on her navy blazer and walks out of the bathroom throwing my blue pajamas in the dirty laundry basket.

I walk into the kitchen and reach up into the counter pulling the coffee grinds out and set it on the counter as I prepare the coffee machine. I hear the ringing of my alarm in the bedroom. I knew it was 6:30, the alarm telling Noel to get up. I continued making the coffee, putting it to brew when Noel stalked out of the bedroom like a zombie.

Her usual defined curly Afro smashed against her head flattening them. Hanging her head low with her uniform in hand heading to the bathroom. I smile and reach into the fridge pulling out the coffee creamer and a monster.

I pour the brewed coffee into two travel coffee cups, pouring creamer in my black cup, while I pour Noel's coffee and monster in her gray coffee cup. How she drinks it I don't know, but it keeps her awake.

I grabbed our cups and sat on the couch with our book bags on the coffee table. I see Noel walk out the bathroom, her uniform clinging to her brown skin. Her curls hang in front of her eyes as she walks and free falls on the couch.

She sits up, groaning as I hand her the coffee cup. She takes a sip, her tired eyes meeting mine. I can see the exhaustion etched in every line of her face, but there's also a hint of gratitude in her gaze.

"Thanks, Lorraine," she murmurs, her voice rough from sleep.

"No problem, Noel. Gotta keep you fueled for the day ahead," I reply, flashing her a small smile.

We sit in silence for a moment, the only sound being the gentle hum of the coffee machine and Noel's occasional sips of her drink. Despite the early hour, there's a sense of comfort in our routine, a familiarity that grounds us both.

Eventually, Noel sets her cup down, her eyes flickering to the clock on the wall. "We should probably head out soon," she says, pushing herself upright on the couch.

I nod in agreement, grabbing my book bag from the coffee table and slinging it over my shoulder. "Yeah, let's not be late for Mr. Johnson's class again," I replied with a chuckle.

Noel rolls her eyes, but there's a hint of amusement in her expression. "Fine, let's go," she says, standing up and grabbing her own bag.

I stood up throwing my bag over my shoulder as we head out our dorm building, the white walls of the hallways filled with the achievements of previous students. I always knew I wanted to be one of  the people on the wall. In the spot across from the large window so every morning the light could shine on it.