02

Chapter Two: The Girl From Four

Sejanus

"As you all know, your final project is to be announced today. Before I begin, I want you all to keep in mind that there are many ways you can get a passing grade."

The vagueness of the headmaster's words makes my stomach twist. My father gave me a heads-up that I wouldn't like whatever our final is going to be. That only solidifies my feeling of dread.

The headmaster clears her throat and speaks again, "Many of you already have valuable experience with this..."

Up until this moment, I thought the announcement falling on reaping day was a coincidence. It has to be! They couldn't  make us do this again.

"Each of you will be assigned a tribute in The Hunger Games. You are to act as their mentor, guiding them through their games, interviews, and training."

I can hear my blood roaring through my veins. Do I have to lead another tribute to their death? I can't do this. I won't.

I can see Coriolanus smiling beside me. How is he okay with this? How is he okay with suggesting the cruelest things be added to the games?

After Lucy Gray disappeared, he hasn't been the same. We grew apart during our time as peacekeepers, but I thought when we both returned to school after my pardon things would go back to normal. Instead, he's become just as bad as those wicked gamemakers. He seems to have no problem with sending these kids off to their deaths.

The headmaster's voice forces my gaze away from Coriolanus. "I will now assign you each a tribute."

I zone out as he begins to list off names. Knowing that all of these kids except one will die violently makes me sick. The only reason I agreed to go to the university was so that I could make a difference. Maybe I could put a stop to this gruesome tradition. Who am I helping except myself by preparing a teenager to die?

"Sejanus Plinth, the girl from four." I look up at the screen displaying my tribute's frightened face. Even with the tears streaming down her face, she's beautiful. She looks almost too delicate, too perfect, to be put into something as brutal as the Hunger Games.

The headmaster begins to announce who was assigned the tributes from District 5 when I interrupt him.

"What's her name?" I question. "She's not just the girl from 4; she's a person. She has a name. What is it?"

Everyone is staring at me right now, but I don't care. These are real people being assigned to us like they are sections of a textbook.

There is a pregnant pause. The headmaster shares a look with one of his inferiors, a short, timorous old lady. She glances at the papers in her hand before whispering something in the headmaster's ear.

"Mr. Plinth, you have the pleasure of mentoring Miss Willow Fairlock."

Willow Fairlock. I glance back up at the screen, which has not yet changed to district five. Willow's eyes bore into mine as I wonder how the hell I am going to keep this girl alive.

-

I stare at the large mahogany door, debating whether to knock. The peacekeepers outside act as if I'm invisible, staring straight ahead.