Family Dinner

Melody woke up to the LOVELY loud sounds of police sirens. She checked the time, it was 10 AM. She sighed and got off her bed, going to tell her mother she's up and alive.

As she made it outside. The house was rather quiet. Not even a lingering scent of food. She checked in her mother's room. Nothing. She checked in the office. Nothing. The bathrooms. Nada. She walked over to the kitchen, where a note was left on the counter.

 She walked over to the kitchen, where a note was left on the counter

It read:

I had to go to LA today...so I may not be home for a day or two.
The fridge and pantry is stocked, don't worry.
I'll be home soon!
Te quiero mucho, Melody. (I love you so much, Melody.)

-tu mamá ❤️

She sighed. This wasn't anything new to her. Her mother being the CEO of a big skincare company, she's always busy and never home. Hell, the trip to Columbia didn't even feel like a proper family. She knew her mom tried sometimes but, it was never enough.

But, she knew she couldn't really do anything about it. She shook it off and decided make a quick breakfast of hashbrowns and orange juice.

As she was about to take out a cup from the cabinet, there was a knock at the front door.

She began to get nervous, because whoever that was knocking was gonna see Melody in a mess; eye bags, moody-ish face, messy curly hair, a big beige graphic t-shirt and short black trousers.

Melody hesitantly opened the door, only to see Rio standing on the other side. "Hey, Mrs. Morales!" Melody tried to sound as lively as possible while giving her a bright smile.

 Morales!" Melody tried to sound as lively as possible while giving her a bright smile

"Hola, mija! Is your mom home?" Rio asked, smiling back at her. Melody's faded smile answered Rio's question.

Rio sighed. She barely got time to spend with her best friend but, imagine it for Melody, Ariella's own daughter.

"Well, I came here to ask if you would want to come over later...we're having a small little dinner and it would be nice if you and your mom was here!" Rio explained. "But, since she's not here, would you like to go by yourself?"