7 - The Flower Underneath

"We looked again through his case and everything about him. There are no connections. If he says he works for some underground organization, there's no evidence to support it." Ethan muttered while Narae leaned against her leather chair, her office filled only with the soft glow of a desk lamp. She sighed, massaging her temple before pushing strands of hair away from her face. It had been a few days since she got any proper sleep and she was starting to feel the strain.

"Ethan, I need you to dig deeper. Focus on patterns, locations, and anything that could give us a lead. I'm sure there's something we're missing. They probably have some sort of code or hidden messages." If they're leaving a trail, no matter how faint, she was going to find it."

He leaned forward, his expression focused. "Like a signature in their operations? I need to trust my instincts on this one." He smiled but as soon as it came, it faded. "Woman, you need a break. You look like you're about to collapse."

She chuckled, the sound hollow in the quiet room. "Yeah, I'll go home for a few hours, but I need you to keep working on this. We might be onto something. I gave Jake some painting tools so we might get some insight into what he's been forced to create."

"You did what? Narae, he could hurt himself with those tools," Ethan exclaimed, concern etched on his face. "And don't tell me they're just art supplies. We're talking about a man manipulated into committing heinous crimes. Anything could be a weapon if he chooses to use it."

"He didn't kill me and he won't kill himself. I know that much." She stood up and started gathering her belongings while he scoffed. It wasn't that Ethan didn't trust her, he simply worried about the unpredictable nature of their situation. If Jake ended up hurting or killing himself, the blame would inevitably fall on Narae's shoulders, and he couldn't bear the thought. Because he knew she was the only one who could solve this twisted case. 

Though he didn't say anything, he simply watched her leave the office and sighed heavily. Maybe it was for the best. Or maybe he was going to regret not stopping her. 

Narae left the office, the city's night sky unfolding above her as she stepped onto the quiet streets. It was December, the end of the year and somehow the beginning of the unforgiving, cold winter. The air bit at her exposed skin as she hailed a cab to take her to her small apartment on the outskirts of the city. No one knew where she lived, not even Ethan, and she liked it that way. She could just disappear when she needed to, away from the prying eyes and the weight of expectations.

Her apartment welcomed her with the muted glow of a few carefully placed lamps and she kicked off her shoes, took off her coat, and let her body sink onto the couch. The portrait of her family smiled at her from the wall, frozen in a moment of happiness that felt distant and unfamiliar. It was almost mocking how her father hugged both her and her mother and smiled at her. 

"You killed us." She muttered, her eyes locked on the frozen image of her family. One night, the three of them were celebrating her mother's birthday, and the next morning her father decided that the best gift he could give her was to end her life and then his, right in front of his daughter's innocent eyes. The memory still haunted her, and the pain lingered, raw and unhealed. It was a wound that time had failed to mend and a case that she always failed to solve.

She still decided to keep the portrait that they once took when she got her first bicycle, and they all had genuine smiles on their faces. Her father's eyes somehow betrayed a hidden darkness, a darkness that she failed to see until it was too late. But it was surprising, humans all carry their shadows, concealed beneath layers of smiles and laughter. Narae often wondered how well she truly knew those around her, given the secrets that could lurk behind even the warmest of expressions.

Pushing herself off the couch, she walked to the small kitchen, the cold tiles sending a shiver up her spine before pouring herself some water in an attempt to ease the tight knot in her throat. With that, she took a shower, cooked herself a comforting meal, and changed into a fresh set of clothes. That was enough to let her rest. She couldn't sleep, not when the nightmares felt too real, so she just headed back to the NIS headquarters. The people stole glances at her when she made her way inside and she knew they were silently judging her. But it didn't matter, she had a job to do. 

In front of Jake's room stood a bunch of men guarding the place. She hadn't seen them before, and they didn't look like people who worked for the NIS. Their demeanor was different—more imposing, less restrained. But they were dressed in the same uniforms as the NIS agents and a flicker of suspicion crossed her mind, but she pushed it aside. "Excuse me," She stood behind them and they turned to her, their expressions almost robotic, void of any emotion.

"Ms. Eun Narae." The leader of the group, a stern-faced man with a military haircut, acknowledged her presence with a nod. "You can enter."

"I know. I need you to get out of my way." She looked into his eyes, making him raise his eyebrow. Oh Gosh, those weren't the eyes of a regular security officer. These were the eyes of someone who had seen too much. Those weren't NIS agents.

"Very well. Make way for the doctor," He ordered, and the guards parted reluctantly. As Narae walked past them, she felt their eyes lingering on her, and a chill ran down her spine. She stepped inside and when the door closed behind her, Jake's eyes met hers and all she could see was fear. Pure fear. Horror even. Something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong but it was alright because that's what she wanted. For them to come on their own and reveal themselves without her having to force their hand. 

Without saying anything, she approached Jake and her eyes flickered to the painting on the canvas. The flower she asked him to draw for her was now buried under colors that were chaotic, swirling together in a blend of darkness and despair. "What happened?" She whispered, crouching down in front of him while he looked away. He was avoiding her gaze, but he was aware of her presence. "Who are they?"

No verbal response, but the way his body tensed and he trembled was enough more than any words. Those men outside worked for the same organization that made Jake into the monster the world thinks he is. Those men were connected to the shadowy figures behind the scenes, orchestrating a sinister game that entangled them all. They fell into the trap without her having to set one to begin with. 

"They... will kill you." The words slipped from Jake's lips, his voice barely audible. He hugged his knees closer to his chest and shivered as if the weight of his revelation had physically chilled him. "I told you they will come for u. They will kill us. hey control everything, and they won't stop until they've silenced anyone who knows too much-" Putting her hand over his mouth, she stared at him and shook her head. 

She was recording everything Jake had said and she could just step out and tell everyone she had evidence and those men could just be arrested. But it wasn't that simple. Narae knew that exposing the truth wasn't a guarantee of safety. They could come in and kill her. But that wasn't the path she wanted to take. The truth needed to be exposed, but it had to be done carefully, and strategically. She removed her hand from Jake's mouth, and her eyes bore into his. "I won't let them kill us, okay? I'm not afraid of them, Jake. But I need your help. And I need you to trust me." 

Jake looked into Narae's eyes, a flicker of hope breaking through the fear that had gripped him. He nodded, and for the first time since their first meeting, he allowed himself to wrap his arms around her and not strangle her and try to harm her. The touch was hesitant, as if he had forgotten how to offer comfort, but it almost made her forget the chaos that surrounded them. His vulnerability reminded her that, beneath the layers of manipulation, he was a victim too.

He wasn't a monster. He was a human who had been manipulated and molded into something he never wanted to become.