Chapter 7 - An Angel

Start from the beginning

"They're never going to stop looking for us... are they?" Minho sighed. No one responded... but I thought that answered his question anyway.

We tramped further and further into the city, now silent as a precaution. We scrambled over mountains of destroyed buildings in single file, Thomas leading from the front until we finally reached one final dune almost as tall as the skyscrapers. I slowly stumbled up the sand beside Teresa, my legs burning and my breaths hoarse. She hadn't spoken a word since last night. 

But once we finally reached the top, the sandy wind piercing our faces, did we see our goal.

The mountains.

Guarded by miles and miles of desert.

"Those mountains, that's gotta be it," Thomas panted while pointing to the horizon. "That's where we're going,"

"That's a long way off," Newt breathed looking at the boy with his usual look of concern. Tom just nodded slowly and looked back at my brother, gently taking his hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

I looked away. I was not jealous. After everything we had been through, they deserve more than anyone else to have some sort of relief from our situation. But it still hurt. Because Gally used to hold my hand just like that.

My thoughts were interrupted as Winston fell forward from our pinnacle on the dune. Rolling a few meters before coming to a halt.

"Winston!" I screamed as we all rushed to his side. I knelt beside him and turned him over, now hearing his shallow and heaving breaths. I placed my hand on his cheek.

"He's hurt pretty bad," I murmured.

"What do we do?" Teresa asked.

Tom looked around at our position and cursed under his breath before standing up.

Newt leaned over Winston's body.

"Hey, Winston. Can you hear me?" he murmured before looking at me, "Is he okay?"

I opened my mouth to respond but no words came out. I knew what this was. I'd seen it before. But I didn't know how to tell him. So I just looked down at Winston's pained face and cleared my throat.

"Fry and Minbo, go find some big sticks. Everyone give me your jackets, I've got an idea," I instruct while gently brushing some hair off Winston's face. He clutched my other hand to his chest. His eyes flickered open for a second and he looked at me with the most haunting emotion I'd ever seen. 

Pure terror. Before he closed them shut again and made another gut-wrenching groan.

"Hurry guys, we don't have much time,"

As we continued our journey with Winston on our make-shift stretcher pulled by Fry and Minho, we again fell into silence. The only sounds were Winton's soft moans and the wind howling around us.

As we made our way out of the city, the wind picked up, carrying razor-sharp sand. The other boys carried Winston on the stretcher while Newt remained by my side, trying to shelter me from the sand with his body. I held his hand firmly, trying to ignore Winston's whimpers.

Once we made it out of the city and further into the desert, the sandstorm finally died down, so we stopped for a drink, using a few fallen cement beams for shelter.

Minho handed me a bottle which I took gladly, savoring the water on my dry tongue and throat. 

I watched Winston's rapid breaths. I didn't know what to do. There was nothing I could do to help. I looked away and saw Tom standing at the top of a nearby dune, staring out at the horizon. Newt looked at him, eyes distant. He started getting up, but I put a hand on his shoulder. Newt looked at me in confusion.