CHPTR 3

"What?!"

I shouted back clearly confused and a little agitated that he fully planned on handing my daughter a gun without my permission but, he said he spent the night preparing something. So I was under the impression he might've set up some kind of elaborate fake monster Hunt, or maybe we were persuing a particularly big animal. I didn't really know what to do or say so after Don stared me in the eyes indicating to go silent with his fingers to his mouth, I obliged. But I didn't want to just blindy follow Dons surprise hunt so I asked while Don was reaching for the revolver supposedly to show to Blair.

"Don, what 'monster' are we hunting."

He changed the trajectory of his hand and grabbed the old book and waved it around his face which blew dust all over the table. It had a symbol of a rose in a glass on the cover.

"Thats for me to know and you to find out"

I hated that response. But I couldn't protest. Don wanted to spend time with his grand daughter and even if it was an odd scenario I was just thankful I was roped into it to make sure he doesn't take Blair anywhere dangerous. I remember seeing the guns before but all I ever did was smoke in the garage where the weapons were with Don before walking around the forest admiring nature together. I decided to look over at Blair who I only then realised was staring at me. She leaned into my left ear and whispered.

"Are we gonna go?"

I whispered back asking if she wanted to, she nodded back to indicate a yes. I sighed and glanced at the table and grabbed the shotgun. It was the only weapon here I've fired before from a drunk incident with me and Don a few years back.

In about half an hour Don, Blair and I were leaving through the front door each armed to battle the cold and whatever else may dwell ahead. Blair had a red puffy jacket with a black beanie, scarf, and gloves all topped with Camo trousers she borrowed from me which I was shocked fit her with the help of some rolling up, socks, and rubber bands. Don had on a whole set of dark brown leather bottoms, a jacket, gloves with a black silky scarf and a brown trapper hat (or winter hat, whatever you wanna call it.) Covering his head. I had on more or less his same apparel just different sizes, cheaper trousers, and all black. Except for my hat which was a blue wooly beanie with a pink heart which Jen had given me a few years back. I didn't leave much places without it. Don had thick boots, he lended a spare of his to me and Blair lended a pair from her grand mother. Me and Don had large heavy duty bags aswell, mine containing food and his containing ammunition and other supplies he didn't go into detail about.

Our journey began with us taking a path behind Don's home which we traveled almost every year. Moving around the exterior of the house was a challenge. The boots may have kept us warm but the snow was so thick each step took twice as much effort as the previous night.

"Blair, keep the gun pointing at the floor and keep your finger off the trigger."

"Sorry Dad."

She went along with my request and Don gave me an approving nod before continuing ahead. We walked along the snow ridden path for twenty or so minutes. Nothing particularly stood out to me as strange. The tall flourishing trees that once shielded the path from rain now dead catching snow on their branches desperately begging for nutrition for the roots beneath. Fields of white reflecting the white sky and almost glowing, reaching far ahead in every direction concealing whatever lay past the woods which hid away Don and Millie's home. The path wasn't really visible only apparent by occasional wooden rods that were there long before me and Jen's time together, now left to be overtaken with moss and snow on the tip.

Every year we came here we would continue to the end of the path then turn right to head towards a lake which was shallow and usually frozen around this time of year, so even if somebody fell through the ice, rescue wouldn't be a difficult task (if necessary at all.) so everybody had that sense of comfort and was more then fine with goofing around on the lake. The path stopped only being indicated it ended by a rusty bucket Don had left a few years ago when he had almost wandered off the path. While walking I thought alot about the lake, I was assuming we were going there, so previous memories of family expeditions drew themselves into my head. Me falling through the ice and jumping out freezing cold and having to take my trousers off while running home pantless. Everybody laughed except for Jen who couldn't stop offering her coat as a wrap around skirt while we ran back to the cabin.