the games.

THE PROLOGUE
Three | The Games
•••

"I WANT YOU TO WATCH THE GIRL FROM TWELVE," Fleur orders her sister at breakfast before training. Glimmer looks over at her brows furrowing in confusion and Fleur knew that was what her sister's reaction would be. Why was it so hard for Glimmer to just accept things and say okay?

"Why?"

"Because she's an underdog. She's going to get sponsors. That puts her ahead of you. I want you to watch her during training and tell me if she has any skills we need to worry about. Understood?"

"Sure," Glimmer says as she resumes eating her breakfast, "I just don't think she's going to have much skill being from Twelve."

"Don't underestimate anyone" Fleur orders, "It'll get you killed."

Glimmer watches as Fleur uses her fork cutting her pancakes in neat little shapes. She'd always admired her older sister. When she'd won her game, Glimmer wanted to be just like her. But then something changed. Her warm older sister turned cold and distant, and Glimmer always wondered if it was something that she did or if maybe the fame just went to Fleur's head. She was always going to the Capitol and Glimmer always wondered why, but Fleur would simply tell her that it was business.

"Is it worth it?" Glimmer asks, "Winning?"

Fleur looks up from her pancakes and over at Glimmer with a smile that's a mixture of bitter and amused, "Honestly? No."

"Why not?" Glimmer asks, "I mean you're rich and you travel to the Capitol constantly. Not to mention, you're alive."

"Yeah well I learned that there are some things worse than being alive," Fleur tells her younger sister. Glimmer stares at her, trying to decipher what Fleur's words mean, but her sister doesn't give her the chance as she speaks again, "Don't think about all of that though. I just want you to focus on here and now and winning the games."

"Do you think I can win?" Glimmer asks.

"Of course, I do," Fleur says, "You're my little sister. I think you can do anything. Mainly because you're related to me."

Glimmer rolls her eyes, "You are an ass."

Fleur laughs softly, "Yeah maybe a little bit, but you're an ass too. A bigger ass."

"That's because I have a bigger ass," Glimmer teases.

"You do not! Shut up," Fleur retorts with a laugh. Glimmer joins in and the sisters laugh even harder as they look at one another. It had been a long time since they had a moment like this. One where things weren't tense or a competition. Fleur and Glimmer both believed it was because their parents weren't there to constantly compare them to each other.

Fleur smiles at her sister and Glimmer does the same.

"I missed hearing you laugh," Glimmer says.

"Haven't had much to laugh about lately," Fleur responds, "Mom and Dad they take things so-"

"Seriously?"

Fleur nods her head, "Yeah."

"Yeah," Glimmer says softly as she looks at the table. She takes a deep breath and looks over at Fleur, "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course," Fleur says.

"I'm scared," Glimmer tells her as she looks around, "About all of this. Is that a bad thing?"

"No," Fleur says, "It's a good thing. I was worried that you weren't scared. Not being scared, would get you killed. But that fear? That's how you survive."