Chapter 38: A New Beginning - 4 to 6 ABY

Dedicated to lostlovefairy

     Over the next four years, the Rebel Alliance established Echo Base on the icy planet of Hoth but was forced to evacuate when the Empire discovered their location. Commander Luke Skywalker trained with Grand Master Yoda on the remote, swamp-covered world of Dagobah before leaving to confront Darth Vader, only to discover that the Sith Lord was his father during the battle. Luke lost both the duel and his right hand in the process but was saved by Princess Leia Organa and General Lando Calrissian, the trio soon heading off to save General Han Solo, who had been frozen in carbonite by the Empire and sold to Jabba the Hutt.

     After rescuing the smuggler-turned-rebel, Luke returned to Dagobah in hopes of finishing his training, but Master Yoda became one with the Force shortly after his arrival. Before passing, however, the Grand Master imparted one last piece of wisdom before the Force ghost of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi informed Luke that he had a twin sister. While the Rebel Alliance was rebuilding its forces, the Empire had been building a second Death Star. Now, leaders of the Rebel Alliance gathered aboard Home One, the flagship of the rebel fleet, and prepared to discuss their next course of action.

     "The Emperor's made a critical error, and the time for our attack has come," Senator Mon Mothma stated. "The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoint the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial fleet spread throughout the galaxy, in a vain effort to engage us, it is relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the construction of this Death Star. Many Bothans died to bring us this information. Admiral Ackbar, please."

     The Mon Calamarian stepped forward and said, "You can see here the Death Star orbiting the forest moon of Endor. Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, the Death Star does have a strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield which is generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor. The shield must be deactivated if any attack is to be attempted. Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor. General Calrissian and General Kenobi have volunteered to lead the fighter attack."

     Han chuckled humorlessly, "Good luck. You're gonna need it."

     When Admiral Ackbar gestured to Jedi Knight Kyra Kryze-Kenobi, she stepped forward and added, "We have stolen a Lambda-class Imperial shuttle. Disguised as a cargo ship and using a secret Imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator. General Solo, is your strike team assembled?"

     "Uh, my team's ready," Han replied. "I don't have a command crew for the shuttle."

     When Chewbacca, Leia, and Luke Skywalker volunteered for the mission, the rebels dispersed to prepare for their separate strikes. Kyra had decided to wear her Jedi robes as she led the Phoenix Squadron into battle, hoping the three different cultures represented in her outfit – those that had helped shape her as a person – would bring her, and the Rebellion, some much-needed good luck. General Hera Syndulla and Captain Alexsandr Kallus would be fighting at her side aboard the Ghost, while Commander Rex would be accompanying the ground unit to Endor. The four rebels gathered near the Ghost, but before they could say anything, young Jacen Syndulla – who was nearly five years old – cocked his head as if listening to a voice they could not hear.

     When his eyes focused, he stared at Kyra and bluntly stated, "Crash and burn."

     At first, Kyra did not understand what Jacen was trying to say, but when he repeated the same three words, her hands turned clammy.