Kingdom of the Sun [Emperor Kuzco x Reader] Part III

Part III - Flying Too Close To The Sun

The Trade Negotiations of the Kingdom of the Sun was widely believed to be a lengthy, mundane and unexciting affair. It was thus believed to be this way because they were actually lengthy, mundane and unexciting. It had been this way since, generations ago, Emperor Utu, extended an invitation of trade to the surrounding kingdoms to trade their proliferant silver, lapis lazuli and gold, which were found plentifully in their land, in exchange for the barley and lumber which grew in the rich soils of the Kingdom of the Earth, or for the fish and pearls from the Kingdom of the Water. It had been this way since the reign of the wise Emperor Assarhaddon and patient Empress Ninurta, the parents of the current ruling emperor, when they had established a peace treaty with the surrounding villages and permitted them to come and air their grievances in the royal court.

It might have been boring, but it was absolutely crucial. Absolutely crucial for three different reasons. Probably because it held the balance of a kingdom on its shoulders.

Oh. And someone was about to die.

(Y/n)'s heart was beating so loudly that she was sure people could use it as percussion. There were stone tablets in her arms, as there so often were, but she couldn't feel their weight anymore. After all of the backbreaking years of lugging them around to get a census, make notes about trade relations and collect payment for the imperial tax, her forearms were strong and lightly toned. The woman wore a different kaunake from what she wore earlier: this wrap-around skirt was dyed to a gorgeous orchid purple, which had been a gift from Yzma to mark (Y/n) as her imperial servant.

There were scores of people in the assembly.. Many were distinguished by the enormous earrings that dangled from their lobes: amber and coral made fire-like hues from the Kingdom of the Earth, while cooler colours like blue opal and jade showed the Kingdom of the Water, and - of course - rounded lapis lazuli, the richest and most beautiful blue tone, hung on the ears of those from her own kingdom. She knew that there was one more accruement that should be among the crowd: quarts, moonstone and pearl that were worn by the Kingdom of the Air. They would not be here. Only their leader, yet deciding if he wanted to be joined by this kingdom, and a few royal servants would be present from that place.

(Y/n)'s mind returned to the other Emperor she had seen that day. The man with the strange yet handsome features with eyes that twirled into deep grey, light charcoal and subtle blue like an Indian sapphire stone. She knew where the ruler would be: far higher above the crowd, perhaps a mountain's distance with how far away it felt, where the Emperor's throne was lit by a thousand candles. Even from where she stood, she could smell the sweet, cloying scent. Rich, raw vanilla. She couldn't see the Emperor or the visiting ruler, Emperor Aloros, but she knew that the trials would begin once they arrived.

After glancing around the room, (Y/n) brightened when she saw one of the only people she could call a friend. Which, after considering that statement, almost made her morbidly depressed.

"Yzma!" The young woman called and made her way to the skeletal woman. Before addressing her again, she straightened her posture and used her proper title, "Advisor Yzma. It's good to see you here this evening. I'm sure it will be a huge success for our Emperor."

The woman was wearing her feathery purple boa around her shoulders, which made her appear strangely frilled like a rare type of lizard or a scaly piranha with elongated gills. There was, (Y/n) considered, a strange gleam in her eyes as she chortled deeply. The woman, surprisingly, even put one of her hands on (Y/n)'s shoulders and squeezed. The assistant had to hide her pained wince with a smile.