Bruises That Don't Disappear

Começar do início

"Well you can't continue releasing all these statements," Charles stresses, pacing the length of the Clarence House drawing room. "We work with the press. It's how we maintain our level of status. You can't just demand retribution for the people doing their jobs."

"And if she's uncomfortable?"

William grits his teeth, fist twisting in his trousers under the table.

"We're all uncomfortable," he blurts. It's undiplomatic and heavy, clenched through his teeth like Leia does with her bones.

"And is that what you tell Jac? Now I understand why she's looked so happy lately."

He stands, hands flat on the table and facing down his brother. Doesn't Harry realize he's making her miserable by helping him? By coming here under the pretense of helping? He's missed an important appointment to be a good son and brother, and now he can feel Jaclyn's sorrow choking him.

"Leave her out of this Harry."

"Do you even care that she's miserable?"

William's about to run around the table and pull him up by the collar, push past his dad and finally fight his brother when Harry's phone goes off. At first only a flurry of buzzing and vibrating that turns into a frantic ringtone. Harry walks to the furthest corner to answer, shielding himself with a plant leaving William exposed to their father's palpable disappointment.

William ignores him, instead glaring at the back of Harry's head. What right does he have to question him about Jaclyn? Has he checked in on her once? Offered to help her with anything?

Have you? The irritating voice in his head demands, and his flaring rage shrinks back.

Harry throws his phone onto the nearest sofa, ignoring it as it bounces and cracks along the floor. His storming steps cover up the damage, and then he's the one slamming his hands down on the table. "Meghan wants to know where Jac and Mia are. They're the only ones who haven't shown up for their fitting."

"As you've so clearly stated, I'm not my wife's keeper." To Harry he feigns disinterest, but his heart races, leaping up to choke him in random spurts. Jaclyn doesn't miss things, she's not late to things either, and the scenarios start to play. Accidents and mishaps ranging in severity.

His cloud of contemplation enrages his brother, and Harry growls turning to Charles with fingers clenched so tight they shake and eyes blown impossibly wide. "AJ's been there all day Will. See this is the kind of stuff we're talking about. I don't think any of you respect us or our wishes-"

Then it's William's phone that buzzes, a singular disturbing sound, and he fights himself to find it as fast as he can. His father moves closer, ignoring Harry's outburst, and sliding a hand onto William's shoulder as they read the text together. The words illuminated are plain and simple, and yet they confuse him. Confuse him for how he could've missed something so big, how he could've willingly let her go on for so long without interfering.

Kate: Come to the hospital quick! Jac fell down the stairs. She's in with the doctor now.

"Oh my," Charles breathes, taking a step back, but jostling William back to his senses. "You need to go, my boy. We'll finish here." William nods, all but racing for the door, but he stops, bracing himself against the door. He turns back to Harry, facing the divide now splitting deeper and deeper between them, accepting that the distrust and agitation will now be common emotions on his baby brother's face, and accepting that his own will forever be reflections.

"Yeah, Harry, I'm sorry my wife is too busy injured in the hospital to make a fitting."

-----