Bruises That Don't Disappear

Start from the beginning

Their support almost makes up for William's absence, the community supporting her while her husband has dropped another one of his promises carelessly. It's a cruel thought, but her bitterness only grows as the baby quickens within her. A fluttering under her skin that travels up to her heart. Another milestone William doesn't get to share with her.

She understands the predicament he's in, she understands better than most, actually. She feels choked by all the warnings she's been issued, by the demands Buckingham has sent her since the latest onslaught of news. The Palace has made it clear she is not to retaliate, Meghan can curse and demand retribution, but Jaclyn is a knight stranded in battle with no weapon.

Her RPO's hover just a few feet behind her, and consistently remind her they need to keep moving. They practically let out a sigh once they're halfway down the staircase.

At least until she falls.

Her hip snaps, bone separating from her socket, and her knee gives out in the process causing her to fall. 

It's not far, four steps max, but enough. She slides down on her butt, curling up around her bump so her tailbone and back take the most in the fall, and when it's done her eyes meet the blinding lights on the ceiling. Numbness surrounds her body, trembling hands trying to check her bump while her mouth gapes and gasps for something to say.

"Your Highness!"

"Ma'am can you hear me?"

"The duchess has just fallen down the stairs, I need a room..."

Hands are prodding her, questions and statements surround her, but she can't focus on any of them. As a nurse forces her to lie down, Jaclyn fights to keep her head up, to keep her eyes on her baby. Nothing seems wrong, but nothing ever does with her.

"I'm fine-" she tries to mumble, but the words are cut off as her body returns to her. A sharp pain shoots up her back, burning a path from her tailbone to her upper back and it takes all her willpower to not scream. The doctor's try to move her, her protection officers helping, but the slightest movement irritates her hip, and she barely winces before they stop.

"The baby's okay, right?" She asks, voice drawn tight like someone has tied up her vocal chords. Numbness spreads in waves over her leg, and the fluttering has stopped to a haunting standstill. A nurse soothes her, hands rubbing her shoulders, and checking over her stomach, but the gentle touch does nothing for her. Jaclyn's still tense, muscles all contracting defensively like the protection can undo anything that's happened

"You didn't land on your stomach, ma'am. Which is very good, but we can't know for sure until..."

Jaclyn clenches her eyes as she's jostled again, fighting her scream as she's hauled into a stranger's arms. The nurse remains at her side explaining, but the words never register to Jaclyn. There is only fire burning her body, and an aching loneliness consuming her. Nothing else matters in the moment. The press, the comparisons, her husband. None of it 

Her phone buzzes, and it takes all her willpower to reach down and silence it.

-----

William taps his foot impatiently, glancing constantly between his father and brother who pace the room and his watch. The hands appear to race around the numbers moving at paces not possible just to mock him. He's missed Jaclyn's appointment now, there's no two ways around it.

Another promise he's tossed down the drain.

"Harry you need to understand, I love Meghan, but she can't-"

"Meghan will get what she wants, Pa! I will not silence her or force her to be one way just appease all of you!"

The fighting is always the same. Harry blinded and their father unrelenting. They'll go back and forth throwing out reasons for why they're both right only for William to referee. They'll come to an unsteady ceasefire, but never solve anything, allowing for the battles to start all over again.