We Dive Back into the Darkness

Start from the beginning

Percy: Do you know what he meant about a bargain?

Chiron: I am not sure, but I fear they seek to make a deal with Daedalus. If the old inventor is truly alive, if he has not been driven insane by millennia in the Labyrinth...well, Kronos can find ways to twist anyone to his will.

Percy: Not anyone.

Chiron: (smiles) No. Perhaps not anyone. But, Percy, you must beware. I have worried for some time that Kronos may be looking for Daedalus for a different reason, not just passage through the maze.

Percy: What else would he want?

Chiron: Something Annabeth and I were discussing. Do you remember what you told me about your first trip to the Princess Andromeda, the first time you saw the golden coffin?

Percy: (nods) Luke was talking about raising Kronos, little pieces of him appearing in the coffin every time someone new joined his cause.

Chiron: And what did Luke say they would do when Kronos had risen completely?

A chill went down my spine.

Percy: He said they would make Kronos a new body, worthy of the forges of Hephaestus.

Chiron: Indeed. Daedalus was the world's greatest inventor. He created the Labyrinth, but much more. Automatons, thinking machines...What if Kronos wishes Daedalus to make him a new form?

That was a real pleasant thought.

Percy: We've got to get to Daedalus first and convince him not to.

Chiron stared off into the trees.

Chiron: One other thing I do not understand...this talk of two last souls joining their cause. That does not bode well.

I kept my mouth shut, but I felt guilty. I'd made the decision not to tell Chiron about Nico being a son of Hades. The mention of souls, though— What if Kronos knew about Nico? What if he managed to turn him evil? It was almost enough to make me want to tell Chiron, but I didn't. For one thing, I wasn't sure Chiron could do anything about it. I had to find Nico myself. I had to explain things to him, make him listen.

But if Nico is possibly one soul, then who would be the other?

Percy: I don't know. But, uh, something Juniper said, maybe you should hear.

I told him how the tree nymph had seen Quintus poking around the rocks.

Chiron's jaw tightened.

Chiron: That does not surprise me.

Percy: It doesn't sur—you mean you know?

Chiron: Percy, when Quintus showed up at camp offering his services...well, I would have to be a fool not to be suspicious.

Percy: Then why did you let him in?

Chiron: Because sometimes it is better to have someone you mistrust close to you so that you can keep an eye on him. He may be just what he says: a half-blood in search of a home. Certainly, he has done nothing openly that would make me question his loyalty. But believe me. I will keep an eye—

Zoe trudged over, probably curious why we were taking so long.

Zoe: Are you ready, Percy?

I nodded. My hand slipped into my pocket, where I kept the ice whistle Quintus had given me. I looked over and saw Quintus watching me carefully. He raised his hand in farewell.