"I'm handling it, Kalen." His voice seemed detached, almost businesslike. 

My eyes widened when I realized what he was trying to accomplish. He was closing himself off. Trying to pull himself from the situation like he would if he were in a business meeting. He was pulling himself from our world into the real world- his world.

My hand reached out to grip his forearm as it rested at his side.

"Sorren," I whispered, almost begging. Urging him to come back to me.

His head turned slightly to peer at me from an angle. Even with the small gesture, I noticed his facial features soften once I was in his view.

"It's me, Sorren. It's me..."

He turned his body towards me. Both arms reached up to cup the sides of my face. His body was suddenly pressed into mine as he held me. He towered over me usually, but now he was bent over me to eliminate some of the distance.

"I know," his voice cracked.

My eyes were locked on his as he closed the distance between us. When his lips pressed against my own, my eyes fluttered close. Our bodies melded into each other. My hands were tangled in his t-shirt, trying my best to eliminate the rest of the space between us. Our tongues fought against each other before he won. We stood like that, for what could have been seconds or minutes. I wasn't quite sure, but I knew every atom of my body craved him as soon as his mouth broke from mine.

"I know it's you," his voice a ghost of a whisper.

The pad of his thumb rubbed over the soft skin of my cheekbone. His eyes searched my face, and I noticed a deep sadness behind them.

"That's why I can't talk..." he searched for the words. "That's why I can't think. I can't sleep."

He pressed gentle kisses against the corner of my mouth, leading over to my jawline.

"Because it's you."

One of his hands moved from my face to tangle into my hair, holding me in place as his teeth nibbled against the tender skin under my jaw.

"It's always been you, Kalen."

I gasped loudly when he sunk his teeth into the skin, swirling the tip of his tongue against the skin instantly to soothe the temporary pain. Then, more kisses were trailed down the length of my neck before stopping at my collarbone. He nuzzled his nose against the skin as both of his hands fell to wrap around my waist, holding me flush against his body.

Suddenly, I could feel something wet against the skin of my neck. The other man buried his face into the space near my shoulder.

"Sorren-"

"I can't lose you, dolcezza"

I let one of my hands rest against the back of his neck, fingers rubbing into the skin. I pressed my lips into the side of his head.

"No one said you were going to," I mumbled against him.

He shook his head in protest, breathing deep against my skin.

I could barely understand him when he uttered, "You don't understand."

When I pulled back slightly, Sorren let me, his grip loosening around me. I mirrored his action from earlier and held both sides of his face in my hands to pull him into eye view.

"I don't understand. So, help me understand..." I pleaded.

His eyes were slightly red when he opened them, wet from tears he let escape. He bit his own lip, copying my anxious habit.

"I've never...I've never cared for someone the way I care for you, amore mio. I left you to protect you, but that backfired." I nodded along as he spoke, to encourage him to continue. "I won't make that mistake again. Every second of every day, your safety is my priority."

One of my thumbs swiped over Sorren's cheek to wipe away any fresh tears. He tilted his head to press his lips into the palm of my hand.

"I'm going to protect you. That's all I can say for now..."

Another kiss against my skin.

"I promise to tell you more when I have the full story, but for now...I need time."

He lifted his head so we could look at each other. His eyes were dry now, after a split second of weakness. Now, he had a look of determination.

"Can you trust me?"

Every logical part of me said no. I should say no. After everything I'd been through in the short time I've known Sorren, I should be running for the hills.

But he was here. He was giving me those eyes that begged for me to say yes. He was touching me, which made it impossible to think logically.

"Always."

.x.

Okay, so apparently, I'm drawing this story out lmao. It was not intentionally the plan, but I am a writer who writes too much so it was only a matter of time tbh. I swear the plan was to disclose all the important information like five chapters ago, yet here we are haha. That just means more little moments between Kalen and Sorren though, so lucky us.

This story was shorter in my head when I wrote up the rough outline. I guess I just let the boys take the lead as I write it though.

I'm already working on the next chapter, so there shouldn't be as long of a wait this time! Let me know what you guys think about this chapter <3