"I see you're feeling better," he nonchalantly observed. He turned on his heels, returning to the attached room.

Once his back was turned, I dropped my arms. I followed him with small steps, stopping once I stood at the edge of the living room, under the archway. 

There was a long couch to the left of me, and an oversized chair to the right, facing each other. The room was dark, with the exception of the lit fire burning and crackling away in the fireplace. It stood in the middle of the back wall, away from the furniture. Even from here, I could feel the heat radiating from the space.

"I'm sorry?" I called. As he sat down on the couch, I watched him intently.

"I'm happy you're feeling good enough to walk around," he expounded, not making an effort to sound sincere. I rolled my eyes yet again.

"Yeah, I can tell."

He laughed softly to himself, peering up towards me through his eyelashes. "Is there a problem?"

I groaned to myself, crossing my arms again. Because there was a problem. A huge problem. But I couldn't confess that to him because he was the problem!

"No."

He hummed in response, turning his attention to a laptop resting on the coffee table in front of him. I chewed my lip ferociously as the seconds crawled by in silence. Him, typing away on his laptop. Me, standing and watching in fury or resentment- or disappointment...I couldn't really tell.

Disappointed in what? I chastised myself.

Disappointed that Sorren wasn't still sitting on the edge of my bed when I woke up or better yet lying next to me. Disappointed that he had nothing to say when I tried to leave. Disappointed that he seemed unaffected by my presence.

But to be disappointed meant I felt something. That I expected something. Which I don't. At least, I can't. Not anymore.

"You're not worried about me trying to leave again?" I questioned.

"You're free to leave if that's what you wish. You've always been. You're not some prisoner I'm keeping locked away, dolcezza."

I switched to chewing on the inside of my cheek, deep in concentration. It had to be a trick...right? Why else would he have Vance guarding the only door leading to freedom, if not to keep me here?

"But Vance..."

"Is there for your protection," he stated matter-of-factly, eyes glued to his laptop screen.

My eyebrows creased. "My protection?" I repeated but my voice was barely audible to me let alone the other man in the room.

I took the step down into the room. Stuck in thought, I wasn't aware of my movement until I was sitting in the armchair directly across from the man typing away at his laptop.

"Why..." I took a shaky breath, remembering the fire at the café. "Why would I need protection, Sorren?"

I noticed a flick in Sorren's features when I asked as if he regretted saying too much. He slowly shut his laptop closed, pushing himself from the edge of the couch to stand.

"I don't think that's a conversation we should be having now," he attempted to dismiss.

I scoffed, standing from my seat as well. I can't let him push away the topic so easily. Not if my safety is in question.

"I think it's the perfect conversation to be having," I rebutted.

The taller man turned towards the fireplace, facing away from me. He ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at the strands in frustration.