Chapter 15: Back with the Old

I stand in my bedroom for what seems like eternity before walking to the door, swinging it open I rush down the stairs and out of my house. I look up at the sky and breathe in well needed mortal air only then realizing that the air down in the underworld was stale in a way, nothing compares to the crisp fall air of a world not covered in darkness. It takes me a moment to realize I probably look weird standing outside of my house in a nice gown with my face in the wind, I turn and walk back in closing the door behind me. It's nighttime here meaning we kept on schedule pretty well while living in the underworld, or at least I did, I realize I never really knew what Ana did during the day or night when she wasn't hanging out with me. 

I make my way to my kitchen and fill my teapot and put it on the stove to boil, I pull out some lavender and mint tea and put some in a tea diffuser. I get my favorite mug out from the cabinet and plop the tea diffuser down into it. Scrambled thoughts of the file  and the file cabinet, wondering if I'm ever going to get the full truth of my life, is my name even Emaline, or is it Kali? What did Hypnos take from me? Did I really have abilities, or not? My thoughts are interrupted when the teapot on the stove starts to scream that the water was ready, I pull it off of the heat and slowly pour it over the tea diffuser watching the water change into a light jade green color. I take deep breath in mint filling up my nose, I breathe out the stress I've been holding. 

After my tea stoops I mosey to the living room and turn on the tv, popping on my favorite streaming service, I find my last addiction, Lucifer. It seems too ironic as of now, but also at the same time James could never act like Lucifer does in the show, hell I don't even think they qualify as the same people, and I never could put my feet in the woman's shoes, whatever her name was. I start to feel the comfort of the old habits I had before my life was upturned by this whole situation, it felt nice. I lay down on the couch still intrigued with Lucifer on tv, and start to feel myself drift off to sleep, it has been a long couple of weeks to be fair, and now it's all  crashing down on me, I've never felt this tired before but here I am fighting myself to stay awake for one second longer for the comfort of the mundane. I lose the battle as my eyelids flutter close and stay closed. 

10 hours later 

I shoot up from where I am on the couch and take a look at my surroundings, I feel as if I'm being watched, but there's no one here, or at least it looks that way. I can feel a presence here in the living room, as if whatever is there is not human, I quickly fumble to turn the lamp on as I do I notice a shadow flicker out of sight. It seems no matter what I am always going to be followed by one thing or another, I just hope whatever this is, isn't as bad as my previous threat from the mortal world, Ryan. I turn off the tv and get up from the couch, switching off the lamp on my way out I decide that sleeping in a bed would be more comfortable than sleeping on the couch would be. I curl into my king size bed and instantly fall back asleep, sighing as everything feels like it's finally getting sorted out. 

This time I wake up to the sun shinning on my face and the birds chirping away. I lazily open my eyes and yawn, familiarity dawns on me. There was no birds chirping morning songs in the underworld, nor did the sun shine, you never really appreciate things until you're  kidnapped by a Greek God. As I'm getting myself clean in the shower I let the ideas of me living my life as normally as I possibly can run around in my brain, I don't know how long I've been gone here in the mortal world, but however long it's been I still need an explanation on why I disappeared off of the face of the earth. I turn the running water off and grab a dark green towel from the towel rack, drying off I remember something that I haven't appreciated but miss more than anything, pants. I rush to my closet throwing open the door I find my favorite pair of skinny jeans, every girl has a favorite pair of jeans so don't judge me, I yank them on and button them. I rummage through shirt after shirt until I find a dark red Calvin Klein sweater and pull it over my head. 

Espresso, oh dear espresso how could I have forgotten about it? I think back to Sam and the last day I was here in the mortal world, the way he seemed disappointed and hurt that I was talking to another guy. Maybe I could find another coffee shop, who says it has to be Starbucks for it to taste great? I grab my phone and start to google where the best coffee shops would be, my jaw drops at all of the results that come up, who knew there was that many coffee shops here. I pick one called Angelo's, they have a five star rating which is pretty promising in my book. Getting my shoes on and grabbing my car keys I make my way to Angelo's. The shop is quaint and a little on the small side, but the cars park out front of the shop said what I need to know, this place is going to make me feel alive. I park in the only empty spot left and turn my car off. 

The afternoon sun glints off of everything just right to make everything appear just a little bit more magical and I smile taking it all in, today is going to be a great day, and that I am sure of. I take the door handle of the coffee shop in my hand and feel a tingle start from my fingertips all the way to my shoulder, sending me into goosebumps, before I can decide against it I throw the door open and step inside. Soft jazz music dancing by my ears. "Hello, what can I do..." A deep voice of a man behind the counter trails off as he turns around and sees me. "You're not supposed to be in here." The man has dark green eyes that cut into my soul he shakes his head at the sight of me standing halfway to the counter. "What's that supposed to mean?" I counter back tacking another step towards him.