Chapter 12: Spilt Tea and Confused Feelings

The silence between James and I has been deafening and everyone picked up on it the next day. Ana gave me a questioning look as Alec was doing his own interrogation on James, the morning after that night. I responded with my own look at the time that said I would tell her all about it, as soon as it was just us, before turning around and going back into my room when James didn't glance my way the entire time I was in the kitchen. My bedroom door opens and I am pulled from my thoughts. Ana comes into view, it's been a couple days since that night and I have more confused feelings than not, one half of me is saying that I made the right move and that I wasn't ready yet, and the other side, well that side was being a bitch and showing me how that night could've went. I give her a little smile telling her she is okay to come in, she takes the invitation immediately and steps fully into my room closing the door behind her.  I sit up in bed as she comes up and sits on it, she looks at me ready for whatever I'm about to tell her.

I take a breath in, "JamesalmostkissedmetheothernightbutIpulledawaybeforehecouldandhefaceplantedintomyboobs." I say it all in one breath out, my face reddening that I finally said it aloud. Ana looks confused for a moment and then it finally dawns on her. I want the bed to turn into quicksand and start absorbing me. Her face breaks out in the biggest smile before she squeals out in laughter. "The king of the underworld got rejected by a mortal?" Her calling me a mortal sounded weird, but I brush it off and laugh. "I don't know what I wanted to do, all I know is now my mind won't shut up with scenarios of him and I, and it's been driving me crazy." She looks up at me with a look of understanding on her face. "I wouldn't know Alec and I've already kissed." She says while her cheeks redden, my eyes widen in disbelief, the dirty scoundrel she is. "When did this happen?" I ask dumbfounded that she hasn't thought to tell me until now. "A couple weeks ago." She whispers looking down. "A couple weeks ago?!" I screech out smacking her arm. "You were wrapped up in your own little things, and then when I wanted to tell you that stranger had shown up and ruined it." She frowns as she brings up Sisyphus, who has also been circulating my brain, why would he want me, there's nothing special about me. 

Ana takes one look at my face giving me one of her bear hugs, it feels familiar, I wrap my arms around her and reciprocate her hug sighing. "Do you like James?" Ana asks into my shoulder, I pause and think about it for a moment, I felt drawn to him, but in more of an intense way than I am used to, it scares me in a way I can't get past. "In a way yes, but," Before I can explain further she gives me an understanding look. "You are still healing from a very traumatic experience, it's okay to feel the way you do, I'm sure he'll understand, he seems like a very intelligent man." She gives me another hug and before letting go fully she looks at me in the eyes, "I'm rooting for Jamiline." With that bit of information she gets up and walks out of my bedroom sending me a wink before closing my door. That woman couldn't be my older sister, even it was by two years, she's not the older sister type, more like younger. 

I thank my bed for not turning into quicksand and get up, feeling like a bath was the move to go, it's been a long week and the warmth of the water is calling to comfort me. I quickly sink into the warm soapy water and let my thoughts of James drift with no supervision. I picture his soft looking full lips brushing mine hesitant at first, and then as if a hunger was driving us, the kiss deepens as he snakes his arms around me. My eyes fly open as my head gets dunked under the water, I lost my grip on the tub and had fallen all the way in, I gasp for a well needed breath, and decide it's time to get out before I kill myself by accident. I dry off and pick a new dress to wear cheeks flushing at my earlier thoughts, opening my bedroom door only to see James standing there with his fist ready to knock. My eyes widen and cheeks get a deeper red color than before, I slam the door shut just as quick as I opened it. There's a pause from both of our ends before he decides to continue with what he was doing before, knocking. Internally cursing my my heart for flipping in my chest. "Emaline, please." his voice is coated in dejection, my hand that's been glued to the doorknob twists almost on it's own accord. 

Seconds later my eyes meet contact with dull blue eyes, even in his disheveled appearance with worry and regret coating his features my heart dipped at my thoughts from earlier and our eye contact now. "I'm sorry about the other night, I shouldn't have made a move like that, in a situation like that, I'm not trying to justify my actions, but Emaline the way I feel for you is intense, every time I'm around you all I think about is how different parts of you would feel, and it drives me fucking insane." My eyes widen with what he says, and as he steps closer my heart entirely stops beating all together. He stops before he can do anything else, and then as if winning a war with himself. "Fuck it." His voice is a low growl as his hand snakes around the back of my neck and his lips make contact with mine, hesitant at first, but like my daydreams in the bath earlier, that same hunger is present, deepening our kiss by pulling me into his chest with his other hand around my torso, I kiss him back with the same hunger flowing through my bloodstream. I pull away first, feeling more than what I was feeling earlier, James looks like he's fighting the same feelings, as he turns and walks away from me without a word, leaving me questioning everything I am feeling.