Chapter 5 (Part 1)Speed is Key

I change my mind about whose POVs would make this chapter because it became so long I decided to split into two parts, so now it's Basil's and Leon's.  

Some information about the school, I'm basing Rosepoint High School on my own school.  And my school runs on a block schedule where the classes are split between two days and each class lasts about one hour and thirty minutes.  If you have any questions about this or anything else feel free to ask me. :) 

Picture of the weights room --------------------->

************************************************

Chapter 5

Speed is Key (Part 1)

Basil's POV

Stupid. How could I have been so stupid to forget about the scars? They've been there so long that I stopped feeling them, thinking about them. I should have played shy and changed in the bathroom stall. It would have called attention but at least no one would see them. No one would change how they act around me like they're afraid I will break at any moment. Unable to stand the awkward silence between Leon and me any longer, I make for a quick exit.

The teacher, Mr. Easton, was already in the gym waiting on the rest of the class. He waved me over once we made eye contact, "So I was reading your transfer file and it says that you did some competitive fighting. Is that right?"

"Yes, sir," Competitive fights? Is that what Dante calls it when I beat the crap out of those bloodsuckers when they thought they could mess with my family? I don't care if we pissed them off when we took in Amber. No one messes with my family. We've all been through enough to last us a life time.

"You don't say? Well, we'll see how you fair against some of the girls in the class, first, and maybe I put you against some of our stronger students." Mr. Easton says before waving me off to join the students coming out of the locker room.

I'm about to tell him that I would be much more suited as a partner for one of the boys when Leon comes into the gym and starts heading towards me even with his friends calling him. I leave and meet him halfway. 

"Hey, what were you talking about with Easton? Is he giving you any problems?" he asks me, wearing a look of concern.

"No, it's nothing. He was just asking me some questions about my transfer," I answer him with a shrug.

"Oh, okay," he says with this weird grin.

Neither of us said anything after that, the quiet between us grew into uncomfortable silence. The only thing creating noise was the class chattering about while so keeping an eye on their proud Alpha and the new kid. Leon still has this look of pity in his eyes like I'm made of glass.

"I said stop it, Leon," I whisper, glaring up at him. Why does he have to be so goddamn tall?

"Stop what?" Leon demands. Oh how Alpha of him.

I didn't get a chance to answer him. Mr. Easton decided then that he was done with attendance and to blow his whistle causing the entire class to wince at the sound. "Right, class, let's make this quick." He swiftly points to me, "Everyone meet Basil Cross from the city of Beaumont. You can harass him with questions and introduce yourselves on the way to weights room." He motions to the class to start moving. I'm really starting to dislike him and my raven, Luca, agrees with me.

Great, I love being the center of attention. I feel everyone's eyes on me and I hear some of the people snicker when they hear my name. I make for a quick escape for the doors. The mass of students behind me shifts making a path for Leon as he catches up with me. Once he does, the class, including Mr. Easton, starts to slow down and the gap between us and them starts to grow. "You never answered my question back there," Leon huffs.