Chapter 9-Surge

Chapter 9

•Zielo's P.O.V•

"I'm concerned about Alex." I told Celest as we walked to our common room. The school day just ended and we were off to set our bags down then head to the library with the rest of our team. Celest tilted her head, flashing a small smirk.

"What did he do this time?" She asked, semi-jokingly.

"N-Nothing. It's just..." I looked to the side. Celest's smirk faded slightly.

"Zee, what's wrong?"

"Alex's magic." I started. "It's been...off, lately."

She shot me a puzzled stare. "Define 'off'."

"Like today during combat class. When we were going over our fighting moves from last semester, Alex's fire felt...different."

I opened the door and Celest and I walked into the common room, setting our bags down and falling back onto the couch. Celest tilted her head.

"Different? Different how?"

"Yeah. More...energetic than normal. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it bit, it's like it had some sort of, shock behind it."

Celest raised an eyebrow. "Shock?" She asked.

"A little bit like Zack's attack." I nodded. "And considering everything that's been going on with him since we came back, it only makes me worried about him."

Celest looks at me with an intrigued stare. "What's been going on with him?"

The door swung open, and in walked the eat if our team. They were chatting with each other, saying hi upon noticing us on the couch. Zack flopped on the couch next to me.

"What'chu guys talking about?" Zack asked.

"Alex's magic." Celest answered. Zack's expression became slightly more serious.

"Oh." He said, sitting up. "What about it?"

The others gathered around intrigued. But before I could explain anything, Alex walked in looking exhausted, and seemingly in pain.

"Hey guys." He said tiredly.

"Whoa, Alex, are you okay?" Keith asked.

"You look terrible." Aaron said.

"Nah, I'm fine. Just a little tired, is all." Alex replied. He cracked a weak smile.

"You were fine at the beginning of the day. What happened?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing. Just a pretty tiring day-"

"What's going on with your arm?" Cameron pointed.

It was then that I noticed it. His left hand was steaming, yet no flame was present. It was similar to the kind of steam that comes off of ice.

Ice...

Alex shrugged nervously, gripping his arm and gritting his teeth. He was fighting back tears. "I-I dunno. But hey, it's been a really long day. I'm gonna take a nap."

Without another word, Alex rushed into our room and shut the door behind him. I turned to the others, worry spread across my face.

"That is what I'm talking about." I said. Damian hummed in thought.

"What's on your mind?" Aarya asked. Damian adjusted his glasses.

"I have a feeling-"

The sound of something falling behind my bedroom door cut Damian short.