History of a new world

A/N: Well, this chapter should clear up the confusion about what’s going on. I apologize, but it’s mostly boring exposition. The next chapter will actually have some action, hopefully. I wanted to do it this chapter, but I figured you guys would rather have a faster update than for me to take forever.             

                James Potter gaped at Sirius, mouth hanging open. Sirius raised a trembling hand, not daring to believe what he was seeing. “J-James?” he croaked.

                James’s jaw snapped shut, and Sirius suddenly found himself facing the end of a wand.

                “Who are you?” James asked. “And what kind of magic are you using? There’s no way it’s pollyjuice; you’ve missed Sirius’s age by quite a few years.”

                Sirius remained frozen, unable to form a coherent response.

                “What’s going on mate?” a voice called from behind James. A moment later, a person came into Sirius’s view, freezing.

                Identical grey eyes met, equally shocked. Sirius Black found himself staring into the face of Sirius Black.

                The other Sirius wore his hair longer, and looked younger—no, he looked the right age, only less aged, how Sirius always imagined he’d have looked without enduring the hell of Askaban. The second Sirius also drew his wand, barking for the other Order members.

                Sirius’s mind went blank. He could only numbly register his surroundings as he was led at wandpoint through the house. The house was different. It looked cleaner, more lived in. Kid’s peeked out at him from around the doorways; he recognized several of them from Hogwarts.

                There was Angelia, Neville, Luna, Blaine. What were they doing here? What was he doing here?

                A door was shut, and Sirius was roughly pushed into a seat, in the middle of a darkened room, alone with the Order members. Each held a wand, pointed at him. In the center stood Dumbledore, the only one who looked calm.

                “Severus,” Dumbledore said, “I do believe it is time for a little truth serum. I hope that you will take it without complaints?” he asked Sirius.

                Sirius nodded. Snape pulled a vial from his robes. Sirius vaguely wondered what it said about the man, that he carried such a thing in his pockets. Dumbledore held the vial to his lips, and Sirius swallowed the cool, bitter liquid. What else could he do?

                “Now,” said Dumbledore, “tell us your story.”

                The next two hours consisted of a rigorous question and answer session, where Sirius told all that he knew about his life after and even during Hogwarts. He was thankful for the mind-numbing effects of the potion: otherwise, he wouldn’t have been able to speak of so many things, his friend’s deaths, betrayal, Askaban, with such composure.

                By the time he was done, the potion had worn off, and he felt a cold sweat begin to creep down his neck. What now? The faces around him were perfect masks of shock, every eye wide, every mouth a small ‘o’.

                “Well, Mr. Black,” Dumbledore said, face breaking into a tired but friendly smile, “it appears you’ve stumbled into another dimension.”

                “I-I’ve what?”

                “The Department of Mysteries is certainly filled with curious things, isn’t it?” Dumbledore asked. “Many of them contain highly illegal magic. It appears you stumbled across one of the more unusual items there; thus, you’ve ended up here. And here is a very different place, Mr. Black.”