| Year 3 | Chapter 15: The verdict

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I'm good."

*

"Lu, Vanessa, look at this!" Ginny all but dives onto my bed, followed by Liliana. "We found this under a table in the library!"

"I bet it was the in the twins' possession," Liliana adds. She seems like she's glowing in excitement and Ginny is no different. "We just need to figure out how to work it!"

"It's a piece of parchment," Vanessa exami- nes it, brows furrowed, but she obviously does not find anything.

"How do you know it was Fred and George's?" I ask them, looking it over on my turn. I too, do not find anything too strange.

"They were sitting there before us," Liliana informs us, with a proud smirk. "We spied on them a little."

"Ooh, nice!" Vanessa smirks back at Liliana. Ginny and I exchange a look and burst out laughing. They look like two psychopaths.

"So, how do we figure it out then?" Vanessa asks, completely ignoring Ginny and my outburst.

"Oh we were thinking you two'd help with that part," Liliana presses her lips together, looking at both me and Vanessa in turn. "We're open to suggestions."

"We could try some revealing spells," Vanes- sa suggests, shrugging. "If you haven't tried it yet, of course."

"See, that's the thing," Liliana retorts. "We did already try, with extra spells from the books in the library as well."

"But it didn't work?"

"Nah, but the manufacturers told us to piss off," Ginny looks back down at the parch- ment, inspecting it again.

"That's how we knew we were right," Liliana adds as proof that they were actually not crazy. We already know they are crazy though.

"That is very cool," I admit to the group and they agree instantly. "How 'bout we get it back to Fred and George?"

The girls stare at me blankly.

"Are you insane?!" Ginny exclaims, quickly snatching the parchment out of my reach. "We're not doing that! We finally tricked them!"

"Are you feeling good Lu?" Liliana raises her eyebrows questioningly. "What got into you?"

"I mean, should we give it back and watch what they do?" I explain myself with a smirk. "We already know spying on them is easier than figuring this out ourselves."

"Where's the fun in that?" Ginny pouts.

"And it's a bit unfair," Vanessa adds.

"Maybe," I admit. "But we want to figure it out, right? Do you have any other ideas? If so, let's do that, I'm happy to do something else!"

The girls give in after thinking about it a little. So, after my Quidditch practice that evening, I sneak it into Fred's bag when no one is watching.

Now, reveal yourself.

*

"I just know they would think differently if they took the time," I sigh sadly as I pat the hippogriff lightly. Buckbeak is literally so beautiful and sweet.

"I know..." Hagrid pats him too. Then he turns away and wipes a tear from his face. "But they've never bin tha' way, I'm 'fraid."

"Guess not."

Hagrid still does not know about me being a werewolf of course, but sometimes I figure maybe I should tell him. I'm pretty sure he is a giant by now, I've read enough magical creatures and monster books to see things. He deserves to know he is not alone in bejng different. On the other hand, you can never truly know how someone will react if you tell them you are a monster, even if you think you know. Don't trust anyone, even those you do trust.