| Year 3 | Chapter 12: The light in dark times

Lucy's POV:

"So he's close now?" Vanessa shivers, a horrified look on her face.

"I'm afraid so," Dean says breathless. "D'you think he's coming here?"

"I'm pretty sure he'll try," I answer. Trying to fool him and everyone else isn't going to do much good.

"But Dumbledore's here, so he's not going to succeed," Hermione adds nervously. "He'll know how to keep Black out of Hogwarts."

"Hermione, he could escape out of Azkaban," Liliana reminds her. "That's sup- posed to be impossible. I think we're under- estimating him."

"But it's going to be alright," Vanessa releases a shaky breath. "He's not going to get to us, right?"

"Who knows?" Ron says. "Maybe Dumble- dore will stop him before it's too late and he'll catch him."

Ginny isn't saying anything, I notice. She's gone a bit pale, I guess with worry about Harry. She still likes him, I can tell. Poor Ginny. She must feel terrible, it's not like she wasn't just traumatized last year.

"You good Gin?" I whisper, so no one else hears. She snaps out of her thoughts in a fright and nods, blushing. "It'll be alright. We can keep him safe."

"It's not just Harry I'm worried about," she mutters. I frown at the weird look she gives me. "You'll do anything to keep him safe, Lu. That's got to make us anxious about you too."

"She's got a point," Liliana interferes, giving me a meanungful look. I roll my eyes at them both, but Vanessa seems to agree with them as well.

"Oh, shove off." With that, I leave the Com- mon Room, knowing all too well I'm being watched by all of my fellow Gryffindors. I've got to get away from all these by-lookers for a bit. That's why I decide to go see Remus.

*

"I get why they're worried," he tells me after I've told him everything. "We don't know if he's after only Harry or the both of you."

"I mean, don't we? It's kind of obvious to me." Remus looks tired, even more so than usual. It's not a full moon, yet he still looks like he hasn't slept at all. "How are you taking all this?"

He frowns, like he has no idea what I'm talking about, but I know he does. He knows I know he was friends with Sirius Black once. Not to mention, with my parents as well.

"I'm quite alright. Thank you Lucy."

"It can't be easy, everything coming back now that he's back." I don't dare press further with him, I know better. If people want to talk about pain like that, they will, at their own accord.

"It's not easy. Of course it isn't. It's really complicated, to be honest..."

"Remus, if you don't want to talk about this, I get that," I assure him. "I really do. Some- thing as bad as losing everyone you love isn't a small thing."

Remus offers me a weak, watery smile. "You sound just like them y'know?"

I do? I never realized. Well, of course I didn't, I never knew my parents! All because of Sirius Black. "D'you like talking about them?"

"Are you serious?!"

"Actually, I'm Lucy."

It was just a joke, but Remus is startled all at once. He pales even more, his breath catches and his eyes widen. "W-what did you say?"

"It was only a joke Remus," I stammer, taken aback. "I-I'm sorry-"

"No, don't apologize!" He waves away my apology quickly. "I was just... surprised. My friends used to make that exact joke all the time. Sirius most of all..."