Chapter 17

I cringe and look away at the last second. I hear the sound of a lightsaber deactivating, then the sound of someone thumping to the ground. I look back. Riva has fallen to her side. She groans. "Did you really believe I did not see it, youngling?" Riva lays her head on the ground. "You are of no further use." From the tunnel, a garrison of stormtroopers emerge, followed by...the old Grand Inquisitor? No. No. He died. He died. I felt it. I take a stumbling step back, my eyes locked on the Pau'an. Please let this just be a nightmare. I pinch myself on the arm. It's not. He's...alive.

"Hello, Third Sister." He says. "Revenge does orders for the will to live, don't you think? Your rage," The Grand Inquisitor says, kneeling beside the Third Sister, "Was useful. Now it is tiresome." He takes the pin back. "We will leave you where we found you. In the gutter, where you belong." He stands and returns to Father's side. "Goodbye...Grand Inquisitor." He taunts before they turn. I follow, casting a glance to where Riva still les on the ground. I refuse to look at the Grand Inquisitor, or my father. Of course I knew he was a Sith Lord, but...I'd never seen anything like that before. Just thinking about it...I want to puke. I silently follow the two onto the ship, fighting to keep my stomach steady. I bring my knees up, wrapping my arms around my knees. I rest my chin on my knees. The ship docks in the Star Destoryer. It flies in pursuit of the small rebel craft. The ship that has Leia and Obi-Wan and many more innocent people on it. Green lasers fly in the air. Most don't hit, but one lands on their engine. But that's all I see before the Grand Inquisitor calls me away for a second.

We return a few minutes later. My arms shake slightly. I clasp them behind my back, then hide a wince as my shoulders scream in protest. A small ship exits the rebel craft. "We're tracking an escape craft." An officer-he might be the captain-announces. "There's one life form aboard."

"That's him." Father says.

"My Lord, we must continue our pursuit of the insurgents." The Grand Inquisitor says. "Now is our chance to wipe out this network in its entirety. We cannot prioritize one lone Jedi."

"He is not just any Jedi." Father is silent for a second, then orders the commander to follow the small ship. It curves down to land on the small moon below us. Father turns swiftly and exits the room. I turn slightly to watch him leave. I guess he knows that, because he stops for just a second and calls for me. I blink in surprise, but I really don't want to stay with the Grand Inquisitor any longer than I have to. Father pilots the ship. I start to sit in the back. "Up here." Father says. I look up, startled, then cautiously move up to sit in the copilot's seat. "Do you know how to fly?" Father asks.

"No, Father." I say quietly.

"You'll have to learn. No daughter of mine will not be able to fly." Father says. I almost smile. "Pull that lever." I do, and the ship flies out of the docking bay and arrows down toward the moon. I had forgotten to buckle in, and almost go scrawling across the controls. I right myself, embarrassed. Father doesn't say anything, and we arrow toward the moon.

The ship rumbles as it touches down on the surface of the planet. The ramp lowers. "Wait in here." Father orders. I nod. I wouldn't be any use anyway. Father exits and out the window I can barely see the small figure of Obi-Wan in the distance. Father walks to meet him. They must talk, or at least exchange barbs, for a few seconds. Then a glowing blue light appears. Obi-Wan has activated his lightsaber. Father activates his, and they start to duel.

I can't make out specifics, but I can see that no one is dead. They seem to be evenly matched. They duel until they disappear behind the rocks. I bite my lip. If either of them die...

I pace the ship, thoughts running around in my head. A whooshing noise echos and I run to the window just in time to see Obi-Wan's ship fly above and away from the moon. If he's gone, that means that he won. And my father hasn't come back yet. I debate with myself for a second. Father told me to stay here, but I can't just sit here and wait. I look down at the control panel. I really have no idea what things do what. I turn away from the window decisively and hurry down the ramp and outside.

The air is cold. It feels like sunlight has never touched this moon. Moisture creates a thick, clinging fog over the ground that soaks my leg the second I step in it. The rock is hard underfoot. This place kind of reminds me of where I grew up, just colder and wetter. I run through the jutting rocks, following the trail of destruction. Finally I come across my father, laying in the rocks. Some of his mask is cut off, making it harder for him to breathe. My eyes widen, scared I'm too late. But the respirator makes rasping, wheezing noise as he breathes. "Father!" I hurry over, trying to lift him. But he's heavy, and I'm small for my age. I can barely lift him, but I manage a few steps. "I can't carry you." I say, and Father stands on his own. My lungs feel cold, like the air is staring to grow ice inside them. It seems like there isn't enough air, and I have to take three breaths to get the oxygen I normally would get in one breath.

"Use the Force to filter the air." Father commands. I look up.

"How do I do that? I-I don't know how!" I start to hyperventilate. Great. Now I'm not getting the little oxygen that was in the air, but I am getting the toxins.

"You must calm..." Whatever else Father said is lost as I pass out.