Chapter 7

The next day, the people in the city gather around an arch. I squeeze through to the front, then bow my head. There, before my eyes, the Jedi hangs from a harness-like thing designed to make the murder visible to all. Someone starts pulling me away. I stumble, then turn back to see Ben from last night. Not Ben. Obi-Wan Kenobi. I still can't believe he's here. With his hands on my shoulders, Obi-Wan leads me through the crowd and into a deserted alley. From the crowd, I can hear someone crying. All the blood is gone from my face, leaving it pale and white. "Are you all right?" Obi-Wan asks quietly. I nod.

"I-I wasn't there when they killed him. He-he heard them coming and sent me away as fast as he could. I t-thought he got away." A tear runs down my cheek. "I should've stayed and helped him." I whisper.

"There was nothing you could've done." Obi-Wan says. "They would have killed you as well."

"Maybe that would be better." Tears run down my face now. I have to keep my emotions contained. The Inquisitors are in the city somewhere. I know they are, and if they feel my emotions spike, they'll know where to find me. "I don't want to hurt people. I didn't ask for this." Almost hesitatingly, Obi-Wan wraps his arms around me, giving me a hug. I flinch slightly, not used to it. Even back on my home world, no one had ever hugged me.

"It will be okay. You'll survive."

"I want to do more that survive." I whisper.

"You will. Someday." Obi-Wan says. I look up at him, wiping my eyes.

"Are you sure?" I ask. Obi-Wan looks beyond me, as if seeing someone that's not there. Or as if he's looking past the buildings and out into the desert.

"Yes." He answers. I smile, but it fades quickly.

"I have to go. They'll be looking for me." I hesitate. "Actually, they probably won't, and I don't want to get left behind." I hesitate again at the edge of the alley. "Thank you." I whisper, then turn and run. I continue until I reach the Inquisitor's ship. As soon as I step on the ramp, the ship takes off. I stumble, almost falling to my death, but find my balance and enter the ship.