☾ - 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊 - ✧

{──────────── ☾ ✧ ────────────}

what is this feeling? this is what she thought as she listened to her mother explain that she had gotten a job offer from a school in japan, and that they were going to move to their new house in six months. she could not think of an emotion to describe what she felt as she sat at their small kitchen table, where she had eaten all her meals, and where her mother had taught her school every weekday for as long as she could remember.

this was her home.

this was her life.

this emotion... no. it isn't sadness. it isn't fear. she tried to focus on what her mother was explaining in regards to the packing process and what she would need to prepare for in the coming months, but whenever she struggled with identifying an emotion, it consumed every other thought and she had to know what it was.

"you'll need to separate what items you'd like to take with you and which ones i can-"

"mother."

hana stopped talking and stared intently at her daughter. she never interrupted unless she was bothered by something, and hana had always been patient with her, so she sat patiently and waited for the girl to speak her thoughts.

"i don't know how i feel. ever since you stated that we would be moving, i have felt an emotion i can't describe. i don't think it is sadness, and the best comparison i can think of is fear. but, i do not think it is that."

hana smiled gently at her daughter, who had been staring at the table since she had first sat down in her chair. "nova, can you describe how you feel at this moment?"

"i... have a stomachache, and my fingers won't stop trembling."

hana frowned then. "nova, can you look at me?"

nova looked up from the table and stared into her mother's dark blue eyes. one, two, three. she looked to hana's short black hair, which hung loosely around her shoulders. it calmed her to look at the strands, which shone prettily in the light coming in from the window next to the table. she looked back at her mother's face and tried to focus on the areas around her eyes. that would help her focus.

"i believe what you're feeling is dread. you remember it from your feelings chart, yes?"

nova closed her eyes and took a deep breath in through her nose. one, two, three, four. she held it in for seven seconds. then she exhaled for eight. she repeated this until her fingers, clasped tightly in her lap, had stopped trembling. she blinked slowly a few times, and glanced up at her mother, realizing that she hadn't answered her question yet. hana was smiling, as she usually did, even though she had been sitting and waiting for nova to answer her for probably a few minutes at least. she knew how long it usually took for nova to complete her breathing exercise though, and wasn't bothered by it.