Chapter III - The Cave

Unknown location

Louie had a terrible headache. The impact had been violent and each body limb was physically complaining. He tried to lean on his hand but, cramps all over made him fail immediately. Everything was dark. From either side, bodies crawled and voices groaned from pain.

He opened his eyes.

Dust climbed in columns-wise patterns and he had his eyeballs stinging. The dusky place was covered by debris which came from the lift. He crashed on his backpack and he could feel the print of a zipper on his face, burning at the skin contact.

- What happened?

It was Azelle. Since she fainted before the end of the fall, she had not been the witness to the crash. The third person began to walk, wagging the dust which whirled around the feet.

August.

Louie finally found the strength to get back up and took a deeper look at the place. The lift collapsed in a long corridor. The rough and black walls were supported by a heavy roofing framework. There was no light but the one Azelle had on her forehead. He searched in his bag for his phone. By a crazy chance, it was intact, as for the rest of his material inside. He turned on the flash to use it as a lamp while the other boy did the same as soon as he grasped his intention.

- How will we get out of here?

August's rasp echoed with a long delay. He had no clues, and he was more interested in how he ended up in this position. It should have not happened. Most importantly, he should have not been able to see that years prior to this day. He unlocked his phone and scrolled the screen, looking for that specific file.

- It looks like we are in a mine gallery. What are you doing?

Louie did not bother to answer. He kept scrolling until he found what he searched. Turning up the volume to the maximum, he made a sign to the others so they would come closer.

- Please don't flee after hearing that.

He pressed play. The audio started with a weak white noise before a kid's voice began to speak.

« Pourquoi je dois faire ça ? »

Louie mimicked a « it's me » with his lips. A male voice intervened then.

« Ne t'occupe pas de l'enregistrement. Contente toi juste de me parler de ce que tu as rêvé cette nuit. »

- Nemo, he whispered. If Azelle did not react to the name, August nodded in understanding. The boy met him a few times when Nemo came to the grammar school and picked up Louie for a few hangouts. As the audio continued, he translated the rest to him.

« Je suis dans un ascenseur. Dans une grande tour je crois. Je vois 68 sur un écran et on descend. Je ne suis pas seul mais les autres... je ne vois pas leur visage. Il fait tout noir. On s'est arrêté. Et l'ascenseur tombe. Je vole au plafond. Sur les murs, il y a des roues oranges. J'ai peur et en même temps, je n'ai pas peur. Je ne sais pas comment expliquer. Il y a un grand bruit. Et une grande douleur avant que je me réveille. »

Azelle and August were glaring at him as if a horn had grown from his head.

- The audio was recorded in 2016 when I was seven.

- Damn! It's sick. I don't even know what it is the weirdest. The dream or the fact that Nemo recorded you telling it.

At first, Louie found it weird too but Nemo was such a cool guy and he always helped him with his passion for physics, so he had not asked why back then. Same for the fact he also instructed him to always have these files with him. But now, the requests seemed too specific for being just a random thing to do. Did he know what would happen and that he would need it somehow? What about the other files?