A Fighter's Love - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

A ghost of a smile appeared on Mr. Reginald’s face before he straightened the files on his desk and leaned forward.  I pursed my lips and held my breath as the strong smell of smoke overwhelmed me. I knew he didn’t believe me for a second.

“You just can’t stay away from trouble, can you?” he chuckled lightly and then leaned back, finally giving me some air.

“So does this mean I’m off the hook?” I widened my eyes innocently and started gathering my things before he could answer. Maybe he’ll be nice enough to not call my mom and then I won’t get in trouble.

“For now.”

“Oh come on, you know you love me.” I threw him one last smirk on my way out and winked at the plump secretary who giggled and returned to her paperwork. The last bell of the day rang and I smiled to myself knowingly. Thank God I got to skip the last ten minutes of Mrs. Colling’s lecture. Now that I knew I wasn't in any serious trouble, I took my time walking to my locker.

Someone grabbed my hand from behind and I immediately turned my head to see Cole Henderson, the biggest flirt in school. I smirked and shook my hand loose from his tight grasp before continuing on my way. He caught up to me in no time and started playing with my hair annoyingly.

“What do you want, Cole?” I sighed resignedly, trying to keep the exasperation out of my voice.

“You,” he stated simply, wrapping a piece of my dark hair around his finger. Most of the time, Cole was nice but I hated it when he hit on me. He knew perfectly well that I had a boyfriend but he still persisted to try to get me into his bed.

I scowled and swatted his hand away. “Screw off, you know I don’t like you that way.”

“But you will, just watch. Sooner or later, you’ll come crawling to me.” I rolled my eyes as I began putting in the combination for my locker. I swung it open and shoved my books in before slamming it shut and facing Cole again.

“Are you going to leave or what?”

“Nope, not until you agree to go on a date with me,” he retorted. I gave a small scream of frustration and prepared myself to tell him off for being such an arrogant jerk but someone beat me to it.

“Did I just hear you ask my girlfriend out on a date?” a deep, masculine voice rang out. I grin as Cole expression turned from cocky to scared. Matt slung a muscular arm around my shoulders and tucked me into his side.

“Uh n-no, I w-was just t-telling her a-about Lee’s p-party tonight,” he stammered. I chuckled at his face which looked like he wanted to piss in his pants right then and there. With his 6 feet frame and beefy muscles, mostly all of the guys at school were clearly afraid of Matt.

“Right,” he said, clearly not convinced. When Matt wasn’t looking, Cole sped off in the direction of the student parking lot faster than I’ve ever seen him run. I exploded into laughter and Matt let out a few chuckles as well.

“Hey gorgeous,” he greeted me with a long kiss. I pouted when he pulled away too fast but wrapped my arms around his neck instead. We were almost the last ones in the hallway so I wasn’t worrying too much about PDA. When I was with Matt, my whole angry demeanor seemed to just fall apart and I loved that he could make me feel this way. We both had met in sophomore year when he moved here from Maine. No one had ever guessed that the hunky captain of the football team would ever date the bad girl, but apparently he did, and we’ve been together ever since.

Matt pecked me again on the lips again and then towed me over to the front doors so we could finally leave this hell-hole of a place.

“Are you coming over today?” I asked him. He usually came over everyday so that we could hang out, pig out on Rocky Road ice-cream, and do homework. Well, he did his homework but I never saw the point to spending hours and hours on something your teacher says you should do. Still, Matt was trying his hardest to get into Stanford, despite him carrying a fairly good chance that he would get a football scholarship.