Chapter 28

AMARA

I don't even have time to close the door that I feel Candace's and Monica's questioning gaze on me. Jade's not home, because she's currently visiting her parents in New Jersey , so it's only us three for a short while. I exhale deeply and pass the lock across the door. I take a glance through the peephole and distinguish Ethan's blurry figure walk away. Nope. He won't be able to save you from this soon-to-be FBI like interrogation. I turn around and with no surprise, see my two roommates looking at me as if I was a freaking alien. I let out a snort. "Alright girls. Who's first?" "Girl, since when?" I hear Candace half-shriek. She's wearing her favourite I love hot dad's T-shirt, and her ginger hair is up in a loose high bun. I don't even have time to answer that Monica opens her mouth. "Are you serious? Like seriously together?" I gulp as I feel her stern look fall upon me. I know what she means. She knows that I know. "I know it's not very Amara like, but it's what happening now." I simply reply. "Amara I don't want to be resurfacing like old memories, but have you thought this through?" Too fucking late. I bite my inner lip as I think of what to respond. "Look guys. What happened with Simeon happened a long time ago. I was young and in a really worser place than I am now. Plus I have you guys, and I'm far away from mom and dad. There's nothing that could go wrong." I see Candace and Monica share a look. I can see that they are worried for me and I feel them. If I was in their place, I'd feel the same. "Speaking of the devil, do your parents know?" Candace asks, pulling out a strand from her bun and twisting it around her finger. I swallow. "No. They don't. And I'd rather keep it that way." "Understandable" Monica huffs, pulling out three spoons from the bottom sink cabinet. She hands one to me and pulls me towards the kitchen table. "Now, details." She orders, sitting me down on a chair, as Candace pulls out salted caramel ice cream from the refrigerator.

Two hours and a cup of ice cream later, we're all sprayed across the sofa, lazily watching love island on the TV. I'm stuck in between, and my back position is killing me, but I don't care. Watching Allie reject Adam after he cheated on her with Sofia, is 100% worth a possible back injury. Allie is this total blonde badass that me and the girls totally root for. They're in the middle of a fight when Candace's phone flashes on, beeping, announcing that she got a text. We ignore it. Half a minute later it beeps again. "You should look who it is. Could be important" I shrug. "Nah. It can wait. My priority right now is watching Adam get completely thrashed." She lets out. I look up at her, letting out a small giggle. "What? Priorities." She simply adds. Priorities my ass. She'd rather watch an entire season of PLL instead of studying for her finals and she talks about priorities. Her phone beeps a third time when she finally decides to pay it attention. She looks concentrated at it and Monica and I concentrate back on the flat screen. "No fucking way." She suddenly lets out, her mouth falling open as she stares dead at her phone. "What. What happened?" Monica asks rapidly. "Alexander fucking McCarthy is coming back to town. In this college." She responds, her voice clearly betraying her irritation. "Wait. Yoghurt Alexander?" I ask. "Wasn't he at Oakley?" "Yeah. He was. Turns out he got kicked out and his mother suggested he go here instead" I chuckle as I see Candace roll her eyes. "You sound thrilled." "Couldn't be happier." She exclaims ironically. Looking at Candace's annoyed face, I hold back laughter. Things are about to get heated.