Chapter Four~ Realization

~*~Jane's POV~*~

While walking through the Lorde house, I saw pictures of of Kyle throughout his childhood. Pictures of what I'm assuming is him and his older sister playing basketball, holding his younger siblings in the hospital, looking, totally different than he does now. He looks so innocent, and cute.

Cute? Did I just call seven year old Kyle cute? I thought to myself.

You did. Admit it. You like Kyle.

No, I don't. Kyle? Please. I could do so much better.

Why am I doing this?

"Okay." Kyle said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "First, we're going to eat. Then, the kids are allowed to play, watch tv, do anything really. At 8:00, Kaila is supposed to go to bed, and at 9:00 the boys go to bed. They have to brush their teeth, get their pajamas on, and then call my mom. My mom should be home around 11:30 midnight, and my sister, Kayli, is coming home from college. She said she would get here around ten-ish. She'll let herself in. Don't be alarmed. I'll be back in an hour or so." Kyle finished, grabbing his keys.

"Wait." I said. "You're leaving?" My God I sounded sad and pathetic.

"Yeah. Um, Becky and I kinda planned something for tonight." He answered scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh. Okay. Um, do you know if your mom wants anything done around the house..?" I said hopelessly.

"I,uh, don't know. I'll text her and ask. I'll send you what she wants done." He said, turning to leave. "Oh, wait. I need your number." He said awkwardly.

"Oh. Of course." And with that, he was gone. I had this feeling in my stomach. I don't know what it was.

And then it hit me. It was a mixture of disappointment, loneliness, and sadness. Oh my God. Did I-

No. I couldn't.

I realized something. I, Jane Young, was beginning to like Kyle Lorde.

~*~Kyle's POV~*~

Was it sad to say it hurt me to leave Jane at home with my younger siblings? It hurt me to leave Jane, period. I swear I saw a look of despair cross her face when she asked me if I was leaving. But I don't know for sure because I couldn't look her in the face. I knew if I did, I would stutter and spit and make a fool of myself.

I quickly remembered that I needed to text my mom and as me her if she needed anything done. After my mom replied, I forwarded it to Jane.

K: Do the dishes, clean up toys in the living room, and wash table after dinner.
J: Thanks. Do you know if your mom wants the dishes to be washed by hand,or in the dishwasher?
K: I'll do the dishes when I get home. Just do the other things.
J: Ok, thanks.

That was the. Most. Pathetic. Goddamned. Conversation I'd ever had with a girl. Chores. We were talking about chores my mom wanted her to do. I need to break up with Becky ASAP.

~*~Jane's POV~*~

After I almost burned the Mac and cheese, which I have no idea how I managed to do so, it was about 7:15 and the kids were playing in the living room while I was cleaning up.

I heard a thump. And then a piercing scream. I rushed into the living room to see Kaila lying on the ground crying, with a scrape under her chin and a cut on her lip.

"What happened?" I asked Keenan, Kyle's nine year old brother.

"She said she could be taller than me and Karter and stood on the couch and jumped off. Her foot landed wrong and she hit her chin on a toy and bit her lip." Keenan answered.