| 66 | Talk of Ancestors

Start from the beginning

"Why are there Lethidian paintings in some other god's house?" he asked, glancing at Damon, who was also staring up at the art.

"It's Caederian," the Alpha told him. "That dragon is Vespira, a vessel for the Zenith's power."

His frown thickened. "How do you know th—oh, ancestral knowledge, right?"

He smiled slightly. "I don't know how my ancestors worked so closely with demons."

Jackson leaned up on his arm so that he could see Damon's face. "Sebastien said that Fenrisúlfr is your ancestor—Greymore. I guess we've all been so busy and overwhelmed with multiple shitstorms that we haven't really...well, thought about any of it. And Wesley has fae blood, Tokala's bloodline is super powerful and half of them are cultists, and some crazy demons killed Dustu's family." He frowned and shook his head. "Sirens, Lumi, and God knows what else."

Damon huffed and chuckled. "I think we need a long pack meeting."

"I suppose we could find out more at this meeting with Cyrus. These guys seem to know a lot about Redbloods and Greymore and Kane. Maybe we'll get some answers."

"All this time, I never really knew where my ancestral knowledge came from. I had my mother and father, and their parents, and their parents' parents, but after that, it's all a big blur. No names, no faces, just knowledge. I guess I know now, though. And nobody knows what happened to Greymore—or Fenrisúlfr—so maybe the fact that his soul isn't with the rest of my ancestors means he's still out there," Damon explained slowly—it sounded like he was thinking as he spoke.

"That...kinda makes sense. Do you think the Nosferatu know? Lord Caedis? The Zenith?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure we'll get an answer to that soon, too. I plan to get as much as I can from Cyrus; he's supposed to be one of my relatives, and he's hanging out here with demon heirs, so he has to know a lot more than I do."

Jackson rested his head on Damon's chest. "I hope he can give you the answers you're looking for, and the rest of us. They know about the Holy Grail, too. I know I was gonna ask Lord Caedis to tell me everything he knows about them as part of the deal we made, but if Cyrus can tell me, then maybe I can ask Lord Caedis for something else."

"Like?" Damon asked with an intrigued tone in his voice.

"I don't know. He can...he can bring people back from the dead, right? Like he did for Sebastien. Maybe...I can ask him to bring my mom back," he said sullenly. "Or my dad, who I never got to know. Or both of them."

"Bringing people back from the dead sounds like it has a hefty price, Jackson," Damon said sincerely. "Sebastien's bound to serve Caedis for eternity; you're not going to make that sacrifice."

He shook his head. "No, I don't want that. But he did say that I could have anything in exchange. Surely that counts."

"I don't know," the Alpha grumbled.

"I guess I could ask when the time comes. But then if I ask, he could twist things, right? Like the devil always does in movies and shit. I don't wanna make some stupid mistake and end up mopping the halls of hell or something."

Damon stifled a laugh. "What? I don't think he'd turn you into a janitor."

"You never know. Sebastien's basically an errand boy."

"Well, Sebastien didn't read the terms properly."

"I guess," Jackson mumbled.

He shifted his attention back to his leg. Although he wasn't in utter agony anymore, he still felt uncomfortable. It was like his body was trying to heal a non-existent wound. But it was healing...somehow, and he felt better.