XIX. The Pages of Lost Innocence

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"You should speak to Carl," she suggests, directing her father's attention to the absence of her younger brother. "He went alone to get supplies from the infirmary. Said he took out two walkers."

"You're not a bad sister." he states, recognizing the weight that familial bonds carry in a world overrun by the undead.

The acknowledgment reflects a shared understanding of the sacrifices, choices, and resilience required to navigate the complexities of their new existence.

"I wish I could've kept him away from all of this for longer. Protect his innocence. I think we pushed him and now... I'm glad he can protect himself, but-." Madeleine trails off, her admission captures the nuanced struggle of finding a balance between nurturing and toughening up in this unforgiving environment.

"I get it. He's not the same anymore." He sighs, watching his daughter as she turns to face him. "You did well today. You really know how to handle these situations, how to read people-."

Madeleine interrupts with a scoff, "Is that what you wanted to talk to me about? My achievements and dreams?"

"You're not a bad daughter either, Mads." Rick concludes, stroking a nerve in Madeleine's spine as she shakes her head.

"I'd need to have parents for that."

"I am your father."

"Biologically."

"I raised you."

"You weren't there!" She raises her voice, glaring at the man imposed in front of her. "You were never there until you ripped me from her arms. What gave you the right? 'Cause you were my father, or revenge?" Madeleine's response reflects the emotional scars left by the traumatic events of their past. Her questioning of Rick's right to claim fatherhood and the mention of revenge suggest the deep-seated pain and resentment she harbors.

"Listen, I need to talk to you about your mother, but-."

"Then you turn around and walk away." Madeleine's immediate dismissal and the command for Rick to walk away suggest a profound emotional barrier or sensitivity regarding this particular topic.

"I know what I did was wrong, and if you don't believe me I was trying to protect you, I understand." Rick attempts to clarify the situation, not feeling he will ever have enough time to apologise to her about his past actions. "At first, I thought she let him hurt you, but I know she fought until her last breath to protect you. But I didn't take you away from her, she lost you."

"You lied to me! She didn't lose me! She ran with me, and when you saw fit, when she needed you... you took me away and told me she was dead!" Madeleine screams at him, not holding back the blinding rage travelling through her veins. "For years, you made me believe that! What kind of father are you?"

Madeleine's outburst unveils the deep-seated pain and betrayal she feels regarding her past. The revelation that Rick deliberately misled her about her mother's fate, making her believe that her mother was dead, adds a layer of understandable hatred toward him.

"I should've told you, but a part of me wanted to make you forget the hell you lived with her." Rick's admission of regret and an apology acknowledges the gravity of the situation and the pain he unintentionally caused Madeleine. "I only ended up hurting you more. I am sorry." His realization that his attempt to shield her from the past only resulted in more harm.

"No, you're not. Not even the slightest." She fires back, slowly shaking her head. "She took me from you, you just returned the favour. You didn't just hurt me or her, you broke us." Madeleine confesses, tears glistening the corner of her eyes.