chapter 2

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

[The Great Hall, Hogwarts – 1976]

A tense silence fell upon the hall. No one really knowing what to say about what they had just witnessed.

"Your methods to parenting never cease to amaze me," Drawled a sarcastic Sirius, he could only sympathise with the younger version of his older sister. He could not even begin to understand how much this had affected her at the time.

The young Black could not, however, feel sympathy for his parents at losing their child. The resentful side of him thought they deserved this.

"You might've liked her then, but I'm sure the moment she disappointed you, you'd both go back to being the monsters you truly are!"

"Sirius, enough!" Orion snapped at the boy. The man knew how horrible him and Walburga had been to their youngest children, but what happened with Amalthea changed them–and not for the better.

They loved their sons. But the overwhelming grief of losing one child had urged a protectiveness so severe to overcome them, it had warped into something truly abhorrent. For a time, the two parents believed that pain would make their boys stronger–but it only led to them losing Sirius, and they were sure it would lead to them losing Regulus as well.

Sirius was about to open his mouth to reply but was cut off by the projection.

The two parents landed heavily on their feet, while Amalthea moaned nauseously into her mother's neck.

Walburga brought a hand up to rub soothingly over her daughter's back, understanding that the abrupt teleportation of a portkey would cause the young girl to be queasy.

As the mother comforted the girl, Orion had walked a few steps forward to assess how close they were to the camp's border. They had miraculously appeared just before the pine tree at the crest of Half-Blood Hill. He spotted the Big House down the valley, and understood that neither him nor Walburga could go any further.

The Black matriarch had moved to join her husband. She had let Amalthea down onto the ground and held her hand as they looked upon the valley.

Amalthea had tears cascading down her, still in disbelief that her parents were really going to leave her in some unknown place.

"Don't leave me! You cannot leave me here!" She wailed, she had released her mother's hand and opted to cling tightly to the woman's legs.

She continued to sob, "Why can't you take me with you? Why must I stay here!?" Orion crouched down to be level with his girl, as Walburga remained standing, her hands covering her face as she too, sobbed.

The man pried gently at the girl's arms, once she was separated from her mother, he brought her into his own.

"Oh, Mon Coeur. You would not be safe with your mother and me. You would be safest if you stayed here."