Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Not yet..." Hunter says slowly. "You'd hire us for this?"

"It'd be much easier than flying another crew in," Oliver says. "But... you're going to have to understand that you work for me."

"We can set our crap aside for the workday," Hunter offers.

"Not just that, I'm not the tactful, shy guy I was. When it comes to those projects, I'm picky as fuck. I do my best to leave you alone and let you work, but I will be on-site often. If I don't like something, I will tell you... bluntly."

"I get it," Hunter says with a slight shrug. "A lot of money goes into something like this. Of course, you're picky. I don't get butt hurt if we get yelled at. We just fix it the way our client wants it."

The worry leaves Oliver's face, and his body seems to relax.

"But..." Hunter adds. "I know what I'm doing, too, and if I have an honest opinion on a better way, I expect you'll at least hear me out. It's common respect."

"That's fair," Oliver agrees. "You sure you'd even want to take this on? It's a big project, going to tie you up for a while."

"I can't turn down something like this," Hunter agrees. "Work can be scarce these days."

"Then let's talk later. We'll draw something up," Oliver says.

It's a good thing it's too early for flies, or I'd have caught a dozen of them by now.

Oliver and Hunter working together to tear down and then rebuild the place where we all became best friends? It's so fitting.

"You coming, Darlin?" Hunter calls, and I realize I'm still standing dumbly in the driveway. And he's at the door, and Oliver is already in and shutting the door to his van.

"Yeah, coming," I hustle over and follow him as he opens the door. We walk into the neighboring side to start in this one.

It's identical to what Oliver's looked like; these are all exactly the same, and none have been remodeled like ever. There's a musty smell, and I crinkle my nose at it.

"Don't take another step until you put these on," Hunter hands me an ugly yellow hard hat with a pair of work gloves inside.

"I don't need a hard hat," I roll my eyes and hand it back to him, but I put the gloves on. That cut yesterday hurt like a bitch.

"Fine, but please be careful today. Oliver made me feel like a tool when I let you get hurt yesterday."

"Let me?" I comment. "Pretty sure I managed that all on my own."

"Just be careful," he says with a sigh. "Hop up here. I'm going to have you help me with the cabinets first."

"Me? How?"

He chuckles. "You can handle this. You'll unscrew the bolts from the wall while I hold them in place. It was a pain in the ass for me to get under them to get at the hinges. Your hands are a lot smaller you'll have an easier go at it."

"Right," I say as my eyes fall on those large and rough hands of his...and with that, my mind starts to wander, but the sound of his toolbox hitting the counter as he sets it down jolts me back to reality.

He starts rummaging through the toolbox until he finds the right screwdriver... He then pats his hand on the counter, and I climb up. He stands behind me and leans in slightly, his chest brushing against my back, causing the tiny hairs on my neck to stand up as goosebumps form.

"See the hinges there," he points to them as he hands me the screwdriver. "You just take the screws out. Once you get the last one, it's going to feel like it'll fall on you. Just grab a hold of it. I'll need you to help balance it until I have it."