Chapter 57 - The Fear of the Unknown

Start from the beginning

"Allow me to explain then, Ibuki," Kiyotaka turned his gaze toward her. "The island exam. You were instructed to get photographic evidence of the leader's keycard. But your digital camera got damaged, am I wrong?"

"H-how..."

"It was me. Using some water, I short-circuited the camera without any visible damage. When we first found you, I noticed your fingers were covered in dirt. And signs of digging were nearby. I returned later that night and found a wireless transceiver. That was your line to Ryuuen, correct?"

"N-no way..."

"While I was concerned about Ryuuen's plot, Akio carried about his own plan of privately collecting multiple spots for increased points. Once we had figured out the other class leaders and your plan, it was a clean sweep for Class D."

"You have to admit it now, Ibuki," Ryuuen interjected. "Ayanokouji is X."

"N-no, he might be clever, but how does that prove he is X? Why would he just show up?"

"He probably has a trick up his sleeve. If he doesn't... that just proves he's an idiot."

"Trick?" Kiyotaka replied. "There's no trick I can pull. You know Karuizawa's secret. I understand the consequences if I get careless here. You took many precautions to get me in this situation."

"And even if you were to tell the school about this. We would leave Karuizawa high and dry in return," Ryuuen said.

"That's true. If you are satisfied, I'll be leaving with Karuizawa now," Kiyotaka stated.

"Don't be so sour," Ryuuen said as he grabbed Karuizawa's arm and yanked her up. "I hold all the cards now. Let's make sure to put on a good show."

"Ack!" Karuizawa squealed from the pain.

"You two exposed yourself today. I want to know what you're planning," Ryuuen extended a hand as if he were challenging us.

"Sorry to disappoint," I spoke up.

"Huh?"

"We were dancing in the palm of your hand this whole time."

Everyone on this rooftop expected this so-called X to be a cunning and cold-hearted student. Or a clever one that could save Karuizawa without giving up their identity.

But for the first time since we had been on the roof, Ryuuen's smile faded.

"Hyping up X this whole time. But he's nothing but a disappointment, and so is his friend," said Ibuki.

"I may have revealed myself to you," Kiyotaka continued. "But that doesn't mean I'm in trouble. Only Horikita, Akio, and Karuizawa know about me. So if this information about me leaks, I'll know it was one of you."

"So what?" Ishizaki demanded.

"I'll report everything that happened here to the school."

"We established that you can't do that."

"I can. When I sacrifice Karuizawa," Kiyotaka replied in a cold tone.

"You said you could've not come here and sacrificed her to begin with. But you came here so you wouldn't sacrifice her. Don't try and trick me," Ryuuen spat back.

"It's fine. I don't care if people learn about me, they already learned about you, Kiyotaka," Karuizawa said, looking at Ayanokouji.

"Kukuku!" Ryuuen laughed as he clutched his head. "What a letdown! Right, Ishizaki?!"

"Y-yes."

"All this is just a game to me. Suzune, Class B, Kanzaki, Ichinose, even Sakayanagi. They were all just fodder to feed off my boredom."