going through the motions (irondad)

Start from the beginning

When his mind finally cleared a little he forced himself to take deep breaths, and at first even his attempted deep breaths were fast. He needed so much air and he wasn't getting it.

He slipped back into hyperventilation a few times, but eventually got back to normal breathing.

He decided he had been gone long enough, even though the dizziness or nausea hadn't faded in the slightest. He slowly raised his body, climbing back up the wall and balancing on the stall door, letting his stomach flip, knowing he wouldn't throw up but still being nervous to leave the safety of the bathroom drains.

His feet were firmly on the ground, but he still didn't feel steady.

Going back out into the echoey gym made him realize this wasn't over at all. He was trembling and the world was tilting slightly. He tried to look composed but the second he got back to his spot in the block, he felt like he was going to pass out.

He mindlessly began practicing what the others were, slower, trying to maintain his breathing and stay present. Apparently he did a good job because nobody noticed his struggle or mental war over going back to the bathroom when the nausea got worse.

The rest of practice he did what he was told, zoning out consistently, missing instructions here and there. He didn't feel well.

And then he remembered he was driving Ned home from practice. It was cold and rainy and he couldn't stay focused at all. 

He was on unfamiliar roads where the lines weren't bright under the water and his windshield wipers just weren't fast enough and he kept drifting to one side or the other, making cars especially nervous to drive around him.

Halfway through the way back to his apartment his phone (with the map to tell him where to go) fell down. He pulled over to the side of the road to pick it up, put his flashers on, and then realized how dizzy he was. He took a deep breath and tried to find his footing but he couldn't.

He was stuck in the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and he didn't feel good at all.

He picked up his phone and rung the only person he knew would just handle the situation.

If he had called May, she would have worried. Plus, she was working the night shift. She couldn't help him or answer if she wanted to.

He typed in the memorized numbers that belonged to Mr. Stark's phone and held the device close to his ear, letting the road spin in front of him as card whizzed past and his turn signals clicked on and off with the flashers system.

"Heya, underoos. Whats up?"

He couldn't really think of what to say. He knew he needed help, he just didn't know exactly what he needed to achieve that.

"You there?"

"I need help." He said calmly. He didn't know what else to say. His voice was steady in the silent car.

"Alright, I'm getting your location. Are you hurt?"

"No I just-" he hesitated, "I just don't feel well."

"Are you on the side of the road?"

"I can't focus on driving right now. I- I can't." He didn't know how to explain.

"I'm coming, bud."

"You or Happy?" Peter asked wearily, he felt so exhausted and out of touch with his emotions.

"Me. I'll be there."

"Okay." He answered.

"Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?" Tony asked.