-01- Childhood

-11 years ago-

Merideth Hayes

February 10, 2013

"Ouch, it hurts," Archer cries as I try to clean a cut on his back with an alcohol wipe. His father always hurts him very badly. I have known him forever and he is my best friend, but his father is very mean to him. I don't know why he does that, Archer is the best person ever.

"I'm sorry, but I have to clean this," I tell him, focusing on cleaning the cut and trying not to cry. Archer hates it when I cry for him, he always tells me not to waste my tears on him.

I would do anything for him.

"Here, hold on to Bambi," I hand him our shared teddy bear who we co-parent. Right now it's Archer's week to take care of him. He is basically our child, we both love him so much. We bought him so many clothes, he has a special space made for him in my closet.

I dig through my secret first-aid box and find a box of bandages, "Here pick a bandage," I place the box in front of Archer so he can pick one. He picks out an Olaf one and hands it to me, "This one please."

I peel the packaging and slowly stick it onto him, trying not to hurt him. Once the bandage is on I place a small kiss on top of it like I always do. Archers believes that none of his boo-boos are fixed until I give it a small kiss.

Once he had a cut on his lip and I got to kiss him. We both couldn't stop giggling afterward.

I really really really like Archer so much, but Father always tells me that I am not good enough for anyone to like or love.

I turn to face him and see his face stained with tears. He has the prettiest green eyes and I hate to see them sad because they lose their sparkle.

What is his father so mean to him?

My father doesn't hurt me but he lets other people. He tells me it's for my own good, I don't understand how.

"It's okay. I am always here with you. I will never leave you." I wrap my arms around his neck and give him a hug. Even though I hate it when people touch me, I can always trust Archer. Archer loves hugs and hugs with Archer fix everything.

"I'm s-sorry I ruined your birthday." He is looking up at me with the saddest eyes.

It's actually my birthday today, I am nine years old now!

Only another nine more years until we can leave.

I hate that he is saying sorry. Doing anything with Archer makes my day amazing.

"Never, ever say that. You didn't ruin anything. I love spending my day with you." I wipe the tears from his face and give him a big smile. He smiles back, his missing tooth on display.

He reaches out his hands and pokes at my smiley face lines. "Your smile is so pretty."

I get these weird lines around my face when I smile and laugh. Mother tells me to stop smiling or I'm gonna look ugly from the lines when I'm older.

Archer tells me that my Mother is a liar and that I'm the prettiest girl he has ever seen.

I don't know what I would do if Archer ever left me.

"I have a gift for you Mer Bear," Archer tells me as he reaches into the pocket of his jacket, pulls out two tiny boxes, and hands one to me.

I open the box and it is a necklace with a pretty golden sun pendant. The sun is our favorite thing, we love summer.