I Meet the Parents & a Deadly Dragon

Start from the beginning

The sea breeze picked up.

Grover: (takes a deep breath) Well, no time to lose.

He jumped in the water and immediately began to sink. Bessie glided next to him and let Grover take hold of his neck.

Percy: Be careful.

Grover: We will. (turns to Bessie) Okay, um... Bessie? We're going to Long Island. It's east. Over that way.

Bessie mooed.

Grover: Yes, Long Island. It's this island. And...it's long. Oh, let's just start.

Bessie lurched forward. He started to submerge.

Grover: I can't breathe underwater! Just thought I'd mention—

Under they went, and I hoped my father's protection would extend to little things, like breathing.

Zoe: Well, that is one problem addressed. But how can we get to my sisters' garden?

Theo: Like Thalia said, we need a car. We can't get one unless we...hijack one.

I didn't like that option. I mean, sure this was a life-or-death situation, but still, it was stealing, and it was bound to get us noticed.

Thalia: Wait.

She started rifling through her backpack.

Thalia: There is somebody in San Francisco who can help us. I've got the address here somewhere.

Percy & Theo: Who?

Thalia pulled out a crumpled piece of notebook paper and held it up.

Thalia: Professor Chase. Annabeth's dad.

Theo's POV

After hearing Annabeth gripe about her dad for two years, I was expecting him to have devil horns and fangs. I was not expecting him to be wearing an old-fashioned aviator's cap and goggles. He looked so weird, with his eyes bugging out through the glasses, that we all took a step back on the front porch.

 He looked so weird, with his eyes bugging out through the glasses, that we all took a step back on the front porch

Played by: Paul Bettany

Dr. Chase: Hello. Are you delivering my airplanes?

Thalia, Zoe, Percy, and I looked at each other warily.

Percy: Uh, no, sir.

Dr. Chase: Drat. I need three more Sopwith Camels.

Theo: Right. We're friends of Annabeth.

Dr. Chase: Annabeth?

He straightened as if I'd just given him an electric shock.

Dr. Chase: Is she alright? Has something happened?

None of us answered, but our faces must've told him that something was very wrong. He took off his cap and goggles. He had sandy-colored hair like Annabeth's and intense brown eyes. He was handsome, I guess, for an older guy, but it looked like he hadn't shaved in a couple of days, and his shirt was buttoned wrong, so one side of his collar stuck up higher than the other side.