Chapter 11

Layla hair and outfit

Something's definitely up with Cassie. I can feel it in the air, and it's starting to get on my nerves. It's not like her to keep things from me. I'm finally opening up to someone who might help me get over this crush, and now this. Maybe it's meant to be, but I'm not sure.

Now, I have to endure this tedious party. Cassie and I haven't talked since our little disagreement, so the car ride is bound to be awkward. Everyone else is acting strangely, and it's just weird.

As I descend the stairs, I see Collin on the couch. I've just finished a call with Vanessa, and a smile lingers on my face. Collin can't help but notice.

"Is she your girlfriend now?" he asks, looking puzzled.

"What are you talking about?" I respond, genuinely confused.

"You talk to her all day, and you're smiling. Is she your girlfriend?" Collin inquires.

I raise an eyebrow, "If she were, what's the problem?"

"Just asking. You've been..."

"What? Acting weird? Because that's what everybody's been saying," I say, slipping on my converse shoes.

"Just saying, out of all the people, Vanessa..."

"What? Because the person I actually... I can't," I retort.

"Who's the person you actually want?" Collin prods, but I'm not ready to reveal my feelings for Cassie.

"None of your business," I reply, checking to make sure I have everything I need.

"Sounds like something..." Collin starts to say, but I cut him off.

"Collin, if it's none of your business, it's none of your business. You're my friend and my cousin; you don't need to know everything. So, drop it," I state, bringing an end to the conversation. The room falls silent after my firm words. Both of us receive a text from the group chat - Sawyer is here.

The car ride to the party is excruciatingly silent. Cassie and I are still in the aftermath of our unspoken conflict, and the air between us is thick with unresolved tension. Collin, trying to lighten the mood, breaks the silence, "Anyone else feeling the awkward vibes or is it just me?"