Chapter 14: Secrets in the Woods

Start from the beginning

I glance at Nicole as she passes snack bars to each of us with care and responsibility. She needs someone to love and respect her. To keep her safe and I swear from this moment on I will prove to her that I'm that person.

"Here." She says throwing the snack bar at me.

First I have to convince her to not be mad at me.

" Earth to Chris. Yo man you there?" I hear Cody.

"Yeah?" I snap out of my Nicole moment and back to reality.

"Can you look for firewood with me." Cody asks.

"Yeah sure." I say as we all get up.

" So let's make our way into the woods here and see if we can find a clearing." Cody delegates.

Rico walks in first as the girls follow.

"What the fuck, Chris. You were goggling all over Nicole. What the hell?" Cody whispers to me behind everyone.

"Was it that obvious?" I ask.

"Yes!" Cody response, " What were you thinking about?"

"None of your business." I said,hissing to him.

"Which position?" Cody probs in a wishper.

I look at him in disgust, "fuck off man!" I said walking away.

Rico stops and looks around, "There's some trees here. It can shelter us from the rain."

"Look at the Boy Scout in the making." Cody answers.

"Cody and Chris, go get the wood for the fire." Nicole says.

"I'm not going with him.' I grunt, staring at Cody.

Cody looks at me, "Really? You got very sensitive on this trip, Christmas."

I stick up my middle finger at Cody, "How about you sit on this and see how sensitive you get."

Cody darts towards me, " actually how about..."

"Whoa, whoa." Rico says grabbing Cody, " I think we need a time out here. Chris you go get the wood with Chantel. Cody, you help me set the tents up."

I don't take my eyes off Cody. I don't care how much his mouth goes off but if he thinks he can say shit and not get it back, then he has a surprise coming his way.

"Come on Chris, before it gets dark." Chantel says as she pulls on my arm.

I turn to Chantel and we walk on. Just to piss Cody off more, I put my arm over Chantel's shoulder until we walk out of his sight. Now, let him feel it for a change.

"You know Cody's pulling at your chain." Chantel tells me as we walk through the woods.

"He's not just pulling Chantel, he's beating us up. It's bad enough being out here, not knowing what we are really getting ourselves into, but with no car, no civilization and dealing with shitty weather coming." I tell Chantel, " When we had a car, we had wheels to drive around in. We would have been there already. But we don't and we are walking through the forest because we got fooled by Cody."

Chantel says nothing.

"We should have called our parents when the Jeep broke down and took their shit they would've given us and gone home." I say as I look at Chantel.

"Well, I agree with you. But right now we have no way of getting home." Chantel says, " plus, you know Cody. he wouldn't put us through this if he knew it would turn out like this, so just back off him a little."

I look at Chantel as she picks up a few branches. You know, I'm in that kind of bitchy mood, "Tell me Chantel. Do you love Cody?"

Chantel looks around with wide eyes, "shhh!" she hushes me in a whisper, "Keep your voice down!!"