Chapter 23.5 - Happy Birthday

Começar do início

Leah forced a straight face as her heavy breathing filled the still corridor. The man cautiously wrapped his fingers around the door handle, took a deep breath, and swung the door open. Within seconds his fist came into contact with Eren's nose, causing the boy to yelp as bones cracked.

The brunette felt his tender nose, blood trickling down his face and fingers. "Surprise!" Everyone else shouted. "Ow, Captain!" Eren moaned at the same time. Steam rose from his freshly broken nose as it began healing.

Levi's jaw clenched as he took in the teenager's before him, all huddle in the office. Behind him, Leah and Hange were in stitches; Leah doubled over in laughter, tears welling in her eyes.

The somewhat startled look on Levi's face only caused the pair's contagious laughs to intensify. Before long the laughter spread, first to Connie who guffawed, clutching his stomach in amusement. Then to Jean and Armin who chuckled. A giggle from Mikasa and Sasha. And finally a breathy noise of amusement from Levi.

Everybody's laughter died in that second and they awed at the smile on Levi's face. "Next time you try to surprise someone, maybe stay clear of the window, Connie."

There was scattered laughs as Jean groaned, "I told you, idiot!"

Connie held up his hands innocently, "I was just watching for them arriving. I'm sorry, Leah." He turned to the ginger woman with sincere eyes. Leah shook her head, grinning widely. "It's okay. Nothing gets past Levi, that's for sure."

She pat a hand to Levi's shoulder before letting it travel down his arm to his hand, which she held onto and dragged him towards the presents piled on the desk. "Time for presents."

Countless awkward thank you's later, Levi had a new mug from Eren and Mikasa, a bag of tea from Hange, a new pen from Armin and Floch, ink from Jean and a tub of polish from the Sasha and Connie.

"Alright, since I can see you edging towards the door, Sasha, you can all go down and help yourself to food. You too, Levi. I'll be down soon, I'm just going to tidy up here."

Racing Connie, Sasha shot out the room and thundered down the stairs, followed by the rest of the ravenous teenagers. Hange skipped after them as Leah started collecting up the labels, boxes and ribbons from Levi's gifts.

"I'll help you."

Levi bent over to pick up a fallen piece of string and offered it to Leah. She smiled gratefully, "Thanks."

"Look, thanks for doing this."

"Don't worry about it-"

Levi cut her off, "The kids deserve a bit of normality before we head back outside the walls... who knows what we'll find out there." He sighed and slumped into the chair by the desk, bowing his head. Leah emptied her hands onto the desk and gently placed a hand on Levi's shoulder. "You shouldn't worry about these things right now. Just enjoy your birthday."

He huffed. "I've never liked birthdays." He put his hands on his thighs and strained to stand up. "Gah, I feel like I've aged ten years."

Leah chuckled as the two of them started walking towards the stairs. "If it helps, you don't look it."

By the time the food on the table had be devoured, everyone had collapsed into comfy chairs feeling full and sleepy. Leah stretched out on one of the sofas, a warm mug of tea cupped in her hands. She blew on the steaming liquid, cautious not to burn her tongue.

"You know, you never told us how you got this house?" Floch reminded Leah, leaning against the wall by the fire, which threw unsettling shadows on his face. Darkness had fallen outside hours ago, and the snowfall increased tenfold. The blizzard swirled on the otherside of the windows and blockaded everyone in the house.

Levi settled into the spot next to Leah, absently draping an arm over her shoulder, a teacup held precariously by the rim in the other. "My Grandpa left me this place in his will. When he died, I was still in the Garrison and mainly based in Stohess, so a Trost property was useless. Instead of selling, I just rented it out but my tenants moved out the other week so I've been cleaning the place up since then. Maybe when this is all over I'll move in permanently."

"It's a nice place." Mikasa said from her perch on the arm of Eren's chair. There was a murmur of agreement in the room. "Yea! Can we come stay with you? It's so much nicer than the barracks. And your food is to die for." Sasha pleaded, drooling at the idea of Leah's cooking.

The red-head sipped her tea, a smile on her face. "I've got one spare room. Fight among yourselves."

They took her words literally, arguing for hours over who would stay with Leah. This continued until the toasty fire and comfy seats lulled them into a food coma. Everyone was either huddled together on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket, or passed out on the rug by the fire. The silence was welcomed as Hange, Leah and Levi sighed contently.

"I should probably start cleaning up." Leah went to stand up, but was pinned to the couch by Levi outstreaching his arm. His eyes had closed in exhaustion and he groaned softly. "No, just stay." He muttered sleepily. "Just... stay with me..."

The corner of Hange's lip curled up at Levi's words and Leah relaxed back into her seat. "Alright." She whispered. When his arm remained across her body, Leah leaned into him, placing her head on his chest. His arms tightened around her, pulling her closer and into a hug. He rested his chin on her head, letting out a deep exhale that caused her head to rise and fall with his chest.

"Thank you for the best birthday."

(2259 words)