13

Shan was not concious of the streets they walked to get to the others, nor at what point they reached the fountain, only of the fact that Inej had half of her weight against her as she helped the injured girl walk

As they approached Jesper and Kaz who were waiting for them, they turned when Inej let out a slight groan as Shan helped her settle against the wall.

"Inej."

The boys stared at the horrific amount of blood seeping from her wound.

"The inferni. She's dead."

Shan blinked, staring down at her filthy hands, muttering numbly, "so are the rest."

She felt eyes on her but could not lift her gaze, strands of blood stained hair falling in front of her face.

Jesper placed a hand on Inej's arm, shaking his head. "You can't manage a horse, not even riding double. We'll have to come up with another plan."

"Saints."

"Thats a pretty nice ride." Kaz noted.

They all glanced past the courtyard to an all black carriage with two ready saddled up horses. It was expensive looking, regal, certainly something the General would use.

As the boys went to get rid of the person inside and get the carriage for them to quickly leave town, Shan waited with Inej, helping the girl stand.

All the while her mind fizzed with static, her body feeling as though it was out of place from her concious mind. It took a lot to try and bring her mind back, but it was out of her control.

She wordlessly helped Inej into the carriage, taking seat next to her as the girl sank into the seat, eyes screwed shut in discomfort.

The journey out of town was entirely lost on Shan as Jesper sat up front and Kaz sat opposite the two of them inside. The curtains were shut, drawing them in darkness as the sky turned black and clouds drew in overhead.

She felt eyes on her the entire ride but was unable to lift her gaze from her lap where her bloody hands sat limply against her skirts.

She didn't even realise the carriage had come to a stop a couple hours later.

Jesper came around to help Inej down the steps so she could sit down somewhere, eyeing Shan who sat motionless beside her.

Inej glanced her way in concern but took Jespers arm as she exited with a barely stifled groan. Unbeknownst to her, he cast a look towards Kaz who nodded for him to go.

Shan's eyes stung, fatigue clinging to her bones.

She didn't realise they had even stopped until Kaz's cane knocked against her shoe.

She glanced up slowly then, eyes half lidded, gradually looking around to realise they were no longer moving.

"Shan."