DAVID

I parked along the street as close to Jayden and Karina's house as I could get and turned off the car. My heart was beating a little quicker than usual, but I had no qualms about this decision.

      "Ready?" I looked over at Travis, who seemed much more nervous about it. His hands were fidgety, and he kept chewing his bottom lip.

      But he nodded. "Ready."

      We got out, and I grabbed the gift from the back seat. It was a perfect summer afternoon, sunny but not sweaty hot, a breeze coming from the hills. As we made our way down the sidewalk toward the house, I heard music and splashing and shouting.

      "The kids can be a little crazy," I said apologetically.

      "I'm used to kids. I've got a little sister."

      "That's right, sometimes I forget that. I'd like to meet her."

      He laughed. "She'd love that. Maybe she can come visit me. Stay in my fancy apartment."

      "I meant to ask you about that last night, but I kept getting distracted by your body." I elbowed him playfully. "Do you want to keep your apartment?" We turned up the driveway, and the noise got louder. "It's totally up to you. I loved having you live with me, and you could save money, but I know you like your independence too."

      "Let me think about it," he said. "I appreciate the invitation, but it might be good to have our own places for a while."

      It would mean we would have to work harder to see each other, but I didn't want to push. I knew he didn't want to go backward, and I was willing to work for him. I took his hand and led him around the house toward the yard.

      He squeezed my fingers. "You okay? You seem so calm, but I know this can't be easy."

       "God, he was so fucking sweet. I paused in the shade on the side of the house and gave him a quick kiss. "I'm a little nervous, yes. But it's the good kind of nervous. I'm excited. And proud. This morning, I woke up and felt completely happy. It almost feels like a new life. Our life. And this is just the beginning."

      He smiled at me, the same warm, grateful smile he'd melted my heart with the night we'd met. "I love you."

      "I'd never grow tired of hearing that. "I love you, too."

      We moved out of the shadows and into the sunlit yard hand in hand.

  Finale

~~~   44   ~~~