TRAVIS

I spent the entire week after rejecting David's offer to talk outside at The Black Label wondering if I'd made the wrong decision. But every time I thought it through, I came to the same conclusion—I couldn't give in just because I missed him or because he looked as miserable as I felt or because it would feel so good to be in his arms again. I might not have had much in the way of material wealth, but I had pride.

      So when he called me the following Saturday afternoon, I almost didn't pick up. But something in my gut told me to answer.

      "Hello?"

      "Hey, it's me. How are you?"

      "Good. You?"

      "Good. Hey, I've got something to show you. Can I give you a ride to work?"

      I stiffened. "I don't know."

     "know."

      "Please, Travis. Give me one hour, as a favor. That's all I need."

      The thought of saying no to a favor for David was unthinkable. He'd done way more than one favor for me. Maybe he needed help with something. "But I have to be at work by five-thirty."

      "No problem. I'll pick you up at three, okay?"

      "Okay. See you then."

      * * * * * * * * * *

      I was nervous, waiting for David to arrive. I'd gone down to the parking lot so he wouldn't have to get out of his car and come get me, and I was sort of pacing back and forth on the sidewalk when he pulled up. At the sight of him behind the wheel, my stomach muscles clenched. I got in the passenger side and shut the door, my heart beating erratically.

      "Hey," he said, smiling sideways at me. A little apprehensive, maybe, but much more relaxed than he'd been the last few times I'd seen him.

       "Hey," I echoed warily.

      "You look a little scared." He wore sunglasses, so I couldn't read his eyes, but his tone was light, teasing.

      "Not scared. Just curious, I guess. Wondering what this is about."

      "Let me show you." He pulled away from my complex. "It's a short drive. Twenty minutes or so."

      I tried to think of where he might be taking me, but I couldn't."

      "So tell me what's going on with you."

      I miss you every day. "I've been working a lot."

      "Sowob told me. That's great."

      I'm lonely at night. "I bought a used laptop, and I'm taking an English and Korean courses online. Mechanics and grammar, things like that."

      "Good for you."

      Nothing feels good without you. "And I met someone who works at YG as a music producer."

      "Really? Where?"

      "He's a regular at the bar. Sowon introduced me. And he offered to let me shadow him at work a little bit, to get a feel for the job. I won't get paid, of course, it would be more as a favor, but I don't mind. Everyone has to start somewhere."