Chapter 23: An Order

Start from the beginning

Pierre knew his friends are all concerned about him and his life, however  he didn't told them the real thing that happened there. He knew wanted to protect his mother from his aunt's tyranny. He wanted them to shut up regarding on the news about his mother. He don't want the whole clan knew what happened to their family. That's why he wanted to silence his aunt's family as much as he can.

“It's just how things in my life works. I owed them, so I have to pay back,” he replied bitterly.

“But do they have to ask you money to repay them when you literally don't have a job?” Lester asked. He was speechless while placing his things on the table.

‘Those money weren't repayment, it was simply an extortion.’ his thoughts ran with anger. After a while he replied

“Just leave it there. I don't want to talk about it this time,” he avoided the question. It won't be useful to him if he shares it. Better if he won't drag them to his problems.

The three agreed and gave him small encouragements. Pierre knew that they are just one call away. But it's not the right time to ask for help. He asked something that sways the topic off their heads instead of dwelling onto it.

“By the way, how did your lives went without me?”

With that question, all of them dispersed from his side.

“Still the same old monk,” Jude replied first.

“Still the same hopeful guy,” Marco sang.

“Am I that free to do new stuff?” Lester questioned back.

Pierre just snickered with their answers. He told them that he's going back to the dorms but each of them seemed to dislike the idea. But they were all ears and eyes of Maricar at this point. The lady was really serious with him. However, Pierre still doesn't admit his feelings even to his own friends.

“I disagree,” Marco boldly said. The two also supported him, making Pierre rose an eyebrow.

There's something wrong for sure.

“Someone lived here already?” he asked.

“No one. It's just we dont want you to live here.” Pierre sighed.

“Marco's right. We've been roommates for three years, we have to let you go and find your own destiny,” Jude added with a serious tone. However it was blown up when Marco smiled, which he took back immediately.

“Oh, I see. Fine. Then I'll leave,” he jokingly replied. But suddenly they heard a voice from a flipped phone at the table. It was Jude's.

(Go back at the house. Now.)

Then it ended. The young man quickly looked at Jude with angry eyes. He was sold off by his friends. Now, he's thinking what they said was half-meant to be true.

“I can't believe you just criticized that woman before. And now all of you suddenly became her accomplices? Amazing!”

Pierre felt betrayed by his friends. He wanted to hide everything that happened to him from Maricar. He thought that if she knows about the details, she would scold him badly.

“Bro, forgive us, okay? I just want you to live a happy life with someone! And !” Jude pleaded.

Pierre sat on the empty chair beside him and closed his eyes. It's bad for him that she is asking him to go back.

“Although you told us you don't like that girl, I still feel you care for her. I knew the feeling of that, too.”

Marco was still in love with Dianne even though they broke up a long time ago. But Pierre was still in his denial stage. He can't accept that if he falls in love, he might be interrupted with the plan he wanted to follow.

Pierre didn't bother to reply. He was still thinking on going back at the place where everything about having feelings with Maricar started. He rose from his seat and took his phone he placed on the table.

He texted Maricar instead of leaving her unanswered.

‘Thanks but I don't need your help.’

But he remembered that his number blocked on her phone after he called. He used Jude's phone instead.

Jude seemed to be very worried about his friend's future. The young woman asked them for help. He knew that she was serious with him. If she wasn't, he wouldn't go to their dorm and personally asked them last week to keep an eye on him.

It seems like they were selling him off to the lady but it was Pierre who sold himself to Maricar.

“Bro, let's talk at the rooftop.” Jude and Pierre went to the area and had a private conversation. The two didn't bother to eavesdrop.

“Are you saying the truth that you don't like her?” Jude handed a can of coke.

Pierre scoffed and sat on the vent after taking it. He don't know if he still likes her that much before. His personal issue with his mother and his aunt's family has degraded everything to the point he have to give up almost everything when serving them. He don't want to drag everyone to his burdens.

“If I say that I don't, will you believe me?” Pierre asked and drank.

Jude shook his head in disagreement.

“You still like her. You are bluffing yourself. I have to be frank with you, bro. You're not helping yourself. You're hurting us slowly,” he confessed before drinking his soda. 

Pierre shed a tear, which he quickly wiped and looked up the sky to prevent from crying. He was still with a heavy heart but he realized that Jude was right. That keeping it from his friends will hurt them more.

He took a deep breath and said, “I finally saw my mom, Jude… but my aunt wanted to send her to jail.”

Jude was shocked to learn about it but he don't want to ask for more details. It was enough for him to saw how his friend suffered back there. Especially when it's about having someone you love being jailed.

“Is that why you pawned your laptop?” Pierre didn't reply and only continued drinking until it was only half left.

“It's okay, bro. Calm down first.”

Pierre calmed down after a few minutes and nodded. “I have no choice. She was my mother, I have to save her from my aunt. They were sisters. I don't understand why she have to suffer with this…”

Jude went beside him. If it wasn't for his frank approach, his friend would continue to bear this thing by himself. Like he always do.

“Is your mom okay?”

Pierre nodded. “My mother repaid my aunt  and she was released. My aunt dropped the case and left us alone. But I couldn't leave at that time yet, until I take my laptop back.”

The wind was strong up high. Pierre cackled up and jokingly asked his friend, “Did I look weak when I cried, am I?”

Jude shook his head. He knew his friend's feelings. A man crying for his mother in his life is a proof of love.

“I only saw a guy who loves his mother so much. I knew how it feels. I would also cry if I met my mother whom I haven't seen for how many years. Bro, you sacrificed everything for her, as of now, you are the most filial child I knew in my entire life. So envious.”

They both laughed and continued drinking when all of the sudden, Jude's phone rang. After seeing who was it, he gave it to Pierre.

“It's Maricar. You have to talk to her, Pierre. Just end her anger and let her move on.”

Pierre looked at the phone on his hand. He was hesitant to swipe the green button.

“She was worried about you. That's why she asked help from us. We can't refuse, she was right that you left her without a notice.”

In the end, he accepted the call.

(Jude, tell him tha–)

“Maricar, let's talk.”

(I asked you first. Go back here and discuss what are you going to do with all the things here. ASAP!)