Chapter 18: Liar

Pierre woke up with a small headache. He slept in his room instead of the living room. Everything was confusing in his mind and it doesn't seem like he came from a drunken state that evening, finding it very unusual.

He went outside and took a look at the living room. It was already spotless and was neat. The floor was swept and the table had no leftovers from the celebration. It suggests that he was dreaming last night. But he won't believe. He still think he cleaned everything up before sleeping.

Pierre went back to his room and tried to recall everything, then thought of checking on the girl next door if she was already outside her room. Maybe she can help. The young man peeked. It was dead silent. After some time, he peeked again.

No sight of Maricar after a few minutes. It seems to him that the lady was sleeping like she always do. It was still seven o'clock though, he understands she won't be awake as early as that.

Dismissing the thought, Pierre was about to go back and rest again. He wanted to recover his sleep from the constant work he had in the past weeks before granted with a break after the project was at its completion.

As he opened the door, the other room coincidentally opened as well. Maricar who was surprisingly early saw Pierre, stopped as he was about to go back when she opened the door.

The young woman's mood suddenly became bad. Her smug face shows it all. However, the other party seemed to be ignorant and doesn't know anything that happened.

“Oh, you're quite early today,” he greeted, then a small smile formed on his lips.

Maricar scoffed and rolled her eyes on him. She didn't reply nor gave him another look. From her actions, everything Pierre disclosed when he was drunk became a turning point of Maricar's view of him.

From a righteous and amenable guy to a cunning and manipulative one. She even crossed on putting the blame on his status.

It was quite stereotypical for her to think about the likes of Pierre but she still thought of it. Now, she wanted to tell him about being a freeloader in the house. However she didn't have the guts to say in in his face.

The young man noticed her actions pretty quickly. It was far from the two of them yesterday, and that's quite alarming for him, which is why he tried to stop her from going outside. 

“Maricar, I have a word.” 

The lady quickly replied, “I'm getting late.”

Her class is starting three hours from now. She's nowhere of getting late. She just want to avoid talking with him. It won't be good for her being forced to solve problems with a messy mind.

But it seems the guy is pushy.

“I know your class schedule today. You're way too early.” he was so sure of it.

Maricar was getting on the edge of her patience as she don't want to talk about it today. She have to think before confronting him, “Please. Don't talk before I scold you.”

The young man's eyes looked dismissive, asking in a worried tone, “Why are you avoiding me?”

However, he couldn't take her advice. It was a warning for him yet he still asked. Maricar turned around, with angry eyes and yelled, “I said don't talk! You liar!”

Pierre was astonished on the spot. He froze as a response to Maricar's attitude, which changed after he slept. ‘Did something happened before I passed out?’

His mind suddenly thought of the possible things he may have done but everything he thought were too irrelevant for him. None of them are the things he would do.