Chapter 14 - The Sorcerer's Stone

"All right, Harry, you take the empty bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the queen's side castle. Ari, you'll be the king's side castle. As for me, I'll be a knight." Ron tells them. Artemis nervously looks between her friends and brother before pulling them into a group hug. 

"Be careful, all of you." She says as she lets them go. They each take their places and Hermione looks to Ron.

"What happens now?" She asks.

"Well, white moves first. And then...we play." He answers. As he finishes his sentence, one of the pawns on the other side of the board moves forward.

"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like real wizard's chess, do you?" She asks as he plans his move.

"You there, d-5." He orders a pawn to move. It moves forward and the white pawn unsheathes its swords, slicing through it. The four gasp, staring at the destroyed piece. "Yes, Hermione. I think this is gonna be exactly like wizard chess."

Artemis, Hermione, and Harry follow Ron's directions as he moves the pieces around the board, losing some and taking others. Once there are only a few pieces left, Harry takes a look around.

"Wait a minute." He says.

"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the queen will take me. Then you're free to check the king." Ron explains. Harry immediately protests and Artemis looks around the board.

"What is it?" Hermione asks.

"He's going to sacrifice himself." Harry replies.

"No, you can't! There must be another way!" She protests. Artemis shakes her head, not seeing another way to win the game.

"Do you want to stop Snape from getting that stone or not?" Ron asks her. "Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not them, you." Harry nods and Ron turns to the queen. He takes a deep breath before ordering his piece forward.

The queen moves towards him and grabs her weapon. She stabs it through the horse and Ron screams as he flies off it. He lands on the ground, unmoving.

"Ron!" Harry and Artemis shout. Hermione moves to walk towards him, but Harry continues yelling. "No! Don't move!" Hermione freezes, still in her square. "Don't forget, we're still playing." He moves to the correct square and looks at the king. "Checkmate."

The king drops his sword, signaling the end of the match. As soon as it hits the ground, Artemis sprints towards her brother, checking him for any serious injuries. 

"Take care of Ron. Then go to the Owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right. I have to go on." Harry tells them as they kneel next to Ron. Artemis rolls her eyes.

"I'll stay with Ron. Hermione, you go with Harry. He'll need all the help he can get if he's going to face Snape." She argues.

"Are you sure?" Hermione asks.

"I've been spending a lot of time in the Hospital Wing, learning from Madam Pomfrey. I'll do what I can, but you two have to hurry." Artemis answers, pulling out her wand. They move to stand, and she pulls them into another hug before letting them go. "Be careful." 

"We'll be back soon." Harry assures. She nods and watches them go into the next room before focusing on Ron. 

After she's done all she can for Ron, Hermione returns without Harry.

"Hermione? Where's Harry? What happened?" She asks.

"There was another puzzle and only one of us could go on. It was brilliant, but we don't have time for this right now. We need to send an owl to Dumbledore." She explains quickly, moving to Ron's other side.