Chapter 8 - The Sorcerer's Stone

"Take a bit of toast, mate. Go on." Ron encourages as Harry picks at his food.

"Ron's right, Harry. You're gonna need your strength today." Hermione adds.

"I'm not hungry." Harry tells them. Artemis glares as Snape approaches, stopping behind Harry.

"Good luck today, Potter. Then again, now that you've proven yourself against a troll a little game of Quidditch should be easy work for you. Even if it is against Slytherin." He taunts. He looks at the others, sneering at Artemis before walking away, limping down the gap between tables.

"That explains the blood." Harry mumbles.

"Blood?" Hermione asks.

"Listen, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that three headed dog but he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping." He explains quietly.

"But why would anyone go near that dog?" She asks.

"The day I was at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults. Said it was Hogwarts business, very secret." He tells them.

"So, you think whatever was in the vault is under the trapdoor the dog is guarding? That's what Snape wants?" Artemis asks. Harry nods. "I believe it. I don't understand how he's still a teacher."

They hear an owl screech and look towards the sound. Hedwig flies towards them, carrying a large package. She drops it and Harry catches it, gently setting it on the table.

"Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asks.

"But I...I never get mail." He says.

"Let's open it." Ron suggests excitedly.

"No! Not until you eat just a little bit, Harry." Artemis argues, tugging the package towards her side of the table. He groans but quickly eats, knowing she's serious. Once he's finished, she pushes the parcel back into the center of the table and the others quickly tear it open.

"It's a broomstick." He says.

"That's not just a broomstick, Harry. It's a Nimbus 2000!" Ron exclaims.

"But who?" He asks, looking towards the staff table. He spots Professor McGonagall petting Hedwig, smiling when she meets his eyes.

Once the four have finished eating and the other Quidditch team members have started to leave, they start making their way down to the pitch. They come to a stop near the changing rooms and Harry turns to face his friends.

"You'll be great." Hermione assures him.

"Yeah, you're brilliant on a broom." Ron adds. Artemis throws her arms around Harry, hoping to help settle his nerves.

"You're brilliant, just try your best. We believe in you." She tells him, smiling at him. 

"Thanks." He replies.

"Where's our hugs?" Fred scoffs as he and George approach.

"If you wanted a hug so badly, you could've just asked." She teases, pulling them into a hug. They both ruffle her hair, trying their best to mess it up. "You two are idiots." She laughs, pushing them off her and smoothing her hair down.

"Come on, Harry. We've got a Quidditch match to win." George says, each twin grabbing one of Harry's arms and pulling him with them.

"Good luck!" Artemis calls after them as they disappear into the changing rooms.

"Come on. Let's go find good seats." Hermione tells her, linking their arms. They lead the way, Ron following behind them.

***