Chapter 2 - The Sorcerer's Stone

"So, you two are twins?" Harry asks, looking between the two. Ron had moved to sit next to him as they shared the sweets he'd bought.

"We were raised as twins, but I don't think I'm really a Weasley. I've been too scared to ask about my real parents, though." Artemis answers, biting into a licorice wand.

"It doesn't matter who they are. We're your family!" Ron tells her. She smiles at him, touched by his outrage at the thought of her believing she isn't family.

"I know that Ron. I just sometimes wish I knew who they were, why they didn't want me." She sighs, turning to look out the window. Romulus meows at her, nuzzling into the hand absentmindedly petting him. "Thanks, Romulus." She whispers, appreciating his comfort. 

"She found him in the yard last week and he's been following her around since. It's a bit annoying, really." Ron tells Harry. 

"Why the name Romulus?" He asks her, looking at the fluffy, grey cat in her lap. She reaches into the small bag next to her and pulls out a book. She hands it to him, and he sees it's a book about ancient Rome. He gives it back to her and she tucks it back into her bag, on top of her school robes.

"Ron finds it annoying, but I love to read rather than play Quidditch like the rest of my family. Lately, I've been reading about Rome and its history. I found the story of Romulus and Remus to be interesting so when I found him in the garden, I took inspiration from the story. I'm the older twin, so I decided to name him Romulus as he's the older twin as well." She explains. Ron sticks his tongue out at her and Harry laughs, grabbing another treat to try.

"Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans?" He asks, staring at the candy in his hand.

"They mean every flavor. There's chocolate and peppermint and there's also spinach, liver, and tripe." He explains as Harry tries one.

"They're brilliant. George told me he ate a bogie-flavored one, but I don't believe him." Artemis adds. She laughs as he winces at the flavor, spitting it out. "They're definitely not for everyone."

"These aren't real frogs, are they?" Harry asks, holding a chocolate frog.

"It's just a spell. Besides, it's the cards you want. Each pack's got a famous witch or wizard. I've got about 500 meself." He explains. Harry opens the card and the frog leaps onto the window. Romulus meows and pounces at it, but the frog crawls, jumping out the window. "Oh, rotten luck. They've only got one good jump in them to begin with."

Romulus walks around the floor of the cabin before jumping onto the seat with Ron and Harry. He comes face to face with Scabbers and hisses, making the rat squeal and hide behind Ron. Romulus moves onto Harry's lap and hisses one more time in the rat's direction before curling up, keeping his eyes on the rat.

"That stupid cat! He hates Scabbers!" Ron complains. Artemis rolls her eyes and glares at him.

"I don't like that stupid rat either. He bites me every chance he gets." She replies, crossing her arms. He glares back at her, ready to defend his pet.

"I've got Dumbledore!" Harry says, trying to distract the siblings before they can continue arguing.

"I got about six of him." Ron tells him. He looks back down at the card, finding Dumbledore missing.

"He's gone!" He exclaims.

"Well, you can't expect him to hang around all day, can you?" He asks. Scabbers moves back onto his lap, shoving his head into the Bertie Bott's box. "I guess you know, but this is Scabbers."

"Pathetic, isn't he?" Artemis asks, glaring at the rat.

"Just a little bit." Harry replies, trying to be nice.

"Fred gave me a spell that's to turn him yellow. Want to see?" He asks.

"Yeah." He says, excited to see more magic. Artemis hides her smile behind her hand, Fred having told her the spell was fake. Ron grabs his wand and clears his throat.

"Sun-" He begins but is interrupted by a girl standing in the doorway.

"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy names Neville's lost one." She tells them.

"We haven't, but we'll keep an eye out." Artemis replies. The girl spots Ron's raised wand.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see, then." She says. Ron clears his throat again before waving his wand.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow turn this stupid fat rat yellow." He repeats the spell Fred had given him. Scabbers squeaks as the box flies off his head but stays brown. He looks to Harry, and he shrugs.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it?" The girl asks. Artemis laughs, shaking her head.

"It's not. Fred gave you that spell as a prank." She tells him. He rolls his eyes, and she laughs again.

"I've only tried a few simple ones myself, but they've all worked for me." She says. She grabs her wand from the pocket of her robes and sits next to Artemis. "For example...Oculus reparo." 

The piece of tape holding Harry's glasses together disappears as the bridge of his glasses repairs itself. He takes them off to stare at them, looking at Ron and Artemis.

"Holy cricket! You're Harry Potter!" The girl exclaims. "I'm Hermione Granger."

"Artemis Weasley." She introduces herself, offering Hermione her hand. She takes it and looks to Ron expectantly.

"I'm Ron Weasley." He says, his mouth full of sweets. Artemis sighs and shakes her head at him.

"Pleasure." Hermione says, disgusted by his manners. "You three had better change into your robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon." She stands and walks out of the door, returning a moment later. "You've got dirt on your nose, by the way. Did you know? Just there." She rubs her nose to show him before walking away.

"Artemis! Why didn't you tell me?" He asks, furiously rubbing the spot on his nose to try and get rid of the dirt. She rolls her eyes and grabs her bag, leaving to change into her school robes.

She returns to the boys just as they reach the station, finding them waiting outside the door to their compartment. She links her arms with theirs, so they don't get separated as they move through the crowd of students.

"Are you ready?" She asks them nervously. 

"As ready as we'll ever be." Harry replies, trying to reassure her just as much as himself.

Hey guys, here's a surprise update! I'm really excited to continue writing this so there will probably be more chapters posted than just on Mondays lol