Chapter 7

The punch to my face hurt. 

A lot. 

Blood dripped down my chin from my busted lip, and my jaw hurt to move. It was the first time I'd been allowed to spar, and apparently the novice I was paired with forgot that I wasn't as sturdy as they are. I didn't complain, though. I wiped the blood off with the back of my hand and threw myself forward in a clumsy tackle. My arms didn't even make it around his waist because he threw his leg up and kicked me in the stomach. I flew back and landed on my back with a pained cry. I didn't even bother to get up, I was so winded. 

"Get her to the infirmary," Stanton called. Shame lit my cheeks up as my partner offered me a hand to help me up. He pulled me to my feet and rubbed the back of his neck with an apologetic smile. He had a head full of sandy blonde hair, and hazel eyes. He was tall and lean for a Dhampir. 

"Sorry, I got a bit carried away," he says. "Can you walk? Or should I help...?" 

"I'm good," I wheeze. If I was ever going to gain their respect, I couldn't whine about being knocked around a bit. "A Strigoi would do much worse." 

"Yeah, but, you're not really going to be fighting any Strigoi." 

I cast him a dark look. "We'll see." 

"I like that you're determined, despite your odds. My names Eddie, by the way. I'm usually in the first class." 

"Hnn," I barely managed a grunt as we went inside to make our way to the infirmary. My jaw was hurting like a mother-heifer. "Charlie," I introduce. 

"You're friends with Rose and Lissa, aren't you? I mean, you came with them." 

"Yeah, so?"

"Just trying to make conversation. I still feel bad." 

"Well, don't. We're all good," I reply with a smile, but then wince because it caused my split lip to sting. 

"I heard about what happened to the princess this morning. That's wild." 

"Eddie?" 

"Yeah?" 

"If you don't have any idea who might have done that, then let's not talk about it."  

"Right. Sorry. You should come hang out with us sometime. Rose, Mason, and I used to hang out all the time. If she ever gets off house arrest, I'm sure she wouldn't mind you coming with." 

"Sure, Eddie," I say a little dismissively. As I walked into the infirmary, I wave goodbye to him, only feeling slightly guilty that I was so short with him. My mood had not improved, obviously. The only time I felt at rest was at home, in my bed. 

At home.

I was at home. That little apartment that I shared with Dimitri had become my home in the three short weeks that we'd been here. It was a scary thought, but it made me smile. I was glad Lissa convinced Rose to stay. I just hoped that it didn't end up being a mistake. 

At lunch time, Rose was nowhere to be found, but Lissa was sitting with Natalie, and the two were surrounded by gossiping teenagers. Lissa sat at the table with her head bowed and her hands wringing themselves under the table. I squeezed in and sat beside the blonde. 

"I wonder who did it!" Natalie was saying. "It's insane! It was just there, right in the middle of the bed! There was blood everywhere!

Rose had just walked in, her face stormy when she heard what Natalie was talking about. Lissa's face turned that horrible shade of green again, matching the sweater that she was wearing today. The darker skinned girl didn't even finish her pizza before standing up. I was right there with her, and Lissa stood as well, clearly none of us wanted to be there anymore.